No flange on toilet, need help with repair

Old 07-25-14, 05:42 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No flange on toilet, need help with repair

One of the toilets in our house started wobbling, so I tried to tighten the bolts and much to my surprise they just pulled out. After doing some research it looked like I needed to replace the flange and closet bolts, so I disconnected the toilet and pulled it off and...it looks like there is no flange?

The toilet was bolted directly into the floor (which is some kind of slab of stone), it looks like the plastic anchors that were used rotted out. It looks like there is a smaller pipe inside which is bent over the top, from what I've found online it looks like it is probably lead.

What is my best bet for fixing this? Here is a picture so you can see what I'm dealing with: picture

Old 07-25-14, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Easy way is to get cement anchors and mount the toilet to them. Since it looks like the lead is ok.. The kind you drill holds to install

Or you can pean the lead up and put a new brass flange on..

Or you can break up the cement and replace the lead with PVC...

Old 07-25-14, 07:09 AM
E
So I ordered one of these a few days ago, is there anyway I can get that to work? Or am I better off just getting cement anchors and using the existing holes that are there already?

I also have one of these repair rings, which a Home Depot employee recommended, if that might work better.

Old 07-25-14, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
That insert one is not to code as I know it.. You will also most likely expand the lead and possibly split it..

Also that other flange, while may work, is not correct.. You will need to pean the lead up and fit a brass flange and solder it..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35279[/ATTACH]

Additionally I can tell by the pic whats left of the lead.

Is there the whole horn left??? It will look like this at the top and should be all intact.. ( See the lead on right in pic? That gets turned up carefully and the new brass flange slipped on. The tapped back down and soldered carfully low heat and lead solder)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35280[/ATTACH]

And as I said last if the horn is OK you may get away with putting a wax ring on the horn and using these type bolts..

Attached Images   
Old 07-25-14, 10:23 AM
E
The horn looks like it's still intact and in good shape. I'll probably just try to get those bolts you have in the last picture and return the other stuff I bought. I don't have any experience working with lead or soldering, so I'll stick with the easy solution here.

Thanks for the help and patience, I'm a new homeowner and just trying to learn how to do as much repair work as I can on my own.

Old 07-25-14, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
You could try a split ring too but your will need to secure at 4 points. This opens up and you slide it under the flange. Bolt it down and install regular johnny bolts...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35293[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: