Unlevel toilet.

Old 08-02-14, 01:12 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unlevel toilet.

I will be renovating my bathroom in the coming months. I have yet to check it with a level, but the floor is pretty out. Can this affect the function of the toinet? It is primarily out of level from front to back.

Old 08-02-14, 02:11 PM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
Unless you don't mind sitting on an incline.

Yes your floor should be level. You need to find out why its not. Is it becuase of settling or are joist members failing or rotted floor. If its just a slight amount you can get toilet wedges to correct it.

Old 08-02-14, 03:39 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
As long as the toilet is stable and does not rock, you should not have a problem with the function of the toilet. Wax seals will mold to whatever shape you present to them. Stopping the rocking on an uneven floor is accomplished a couple of ways. On is with shims - Toilet shims are found at the local plumbing house or hardware store. They are little hard rubber shims maybe 1 1/2" long by 3/4" wide. You slide them under a low spot and cut off the excess with a utility knife. You can also pack some grout under the rim of the toilet where it meets the floor, once hardened, it will support the out of level portion.

Check and report back once you begin the renovation process. With the toilet and flooring removed, we can better access the situation.

Old 08-02-14, 04:41 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What CZizzi said. I have a 9'X12' toilet that is out of level by almost an inch in the 12' dimension. My choices were to level the floor or to level the toilet. Guess which one I chose.

Old 08-02-14, 05:48 PM
D
It's the house that has settled in various ways out of level. I think the floor is out quite a bit and just using shims on the toilet is going to be a no go. Maybe I can just level the area where the toilet is. Hmm. Right now I am in the planning stages and preparing myself for the reno. Still have to finish the room I am currently working on.

Old 08-08-14, 03:08 PM
D
Ok. Well it seems my brain is mostly out of level. Things are not as bad as I thought. The floor is out front to back of the toilet from 1/4" to 3/8" using a 4' level on either side of the toilet. From left to right it is out about a 1/4" using a 2' level. Not as bad as I thought. Though I think more than I would want to use shims for. Do you guys think I could use floor leveler to fix this situation? I will be putting tile down. I still have to learn how to do that too.

Old 08-08-14, 04:02 PM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
For that small amount , yes. I've used floor leveler for a lot more out of level than that for a toilet without problems. Not ideal but it's OK.

Old 08-08-14, 04:59 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
After you install your cement backer, then get a good self leveling primer and roll/brush onto the cement board. After it dries (2 hrs) you can pour some self leveling compound and then feather our the edges after if cures. Read the fine print on the self levelers, they vary on how thick you can make a pour. You also have to massage the stuff. It is not simply a pour and go, you have to push it along.

The reason for installing the cement backer first is, that if you self level over plywood, you are supposed to add felt paper and wire mesh. With a SLC primer, you can bond direct to cbu.

I'm sure you have heard the drill before, but how big are your floor joists? what are the OC spacings and how big is the unsupported spans of the joists? Finally, tell us about the number of layers of ply and how thick the sandwich is.

I will be putting tile down. I still have to learn how to do that too.
Schools Open!

Old 08-09-14, 05:01 AM
D

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: