Cold water is not always COLD in kitchen and bathroom- what's wrong?

Old 08-08-14, 08:49 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cold water is not always COLD in kitchen and bathroom- what's wrong?

Hi,
I'm in Boston- I have free standing house with city water, not well water. I'm having a Cold water temp issue. Same problem exists in shower, kitchen and bathroom faucets. It is NOT always present- Sometimes I can only get it to be "coolish" but not COLD- then literally an hour later this can change and it's back to COLD! At times it can feel almost room temp. Anyone know what's going on? Very frustrating...(dog very unhappy) The hot water is fine...
Appreciate it!
deb

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-14, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 936 Votes on 873 Posts
You can't control the temperature of the incoming water. It all depends on what it passes thru underground.

Does it get colder if you let it run for a few minutes ?

Dogs require Brita water pitchers. A few ice cubes are ok too.

Old 08-09-14, 08:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 533 Votes on 490 Posts
Since your water is warm at all fixtures and can be warm for so long I'm assuming the problem is not in your home. Here in NC it's common in some parts of town for the water to not get very cold in summer. Our water comes from surface sources which are warmer in summer and it gets pumped through pipes passing through warm ground. The temperature will vary with how much water is used but will generally get colder as more water is used. I assume because it's pulling water from more deeply buried water mains. Then as winter sets in the water gets noticeably colder.

Have you checked the water temp at a outside spigot? Is it any colder than the water in the home?

Also, how we perceive temperature can vary. I never trust a subjective "feels warm". Use a thermometer to check the water's temp.

--
In Costa Rica the water comes from a spring on the mountain. With high temps in the mid-80s and lows in the 70s the water there never truly gets cold. It's so reliably "warm" that most locals houses do not have water heaters.

Old 08-09-14, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Sounds like a mixing issue.. Possibly a bad check valve if you have a recirc line on your hot water heater.

Also if you have thermostatic valves at the showers a faulty cartridge can cause this....

As a test turn off the hot water heater valve. Then run cold water and test temp... Also if a recirc line is present close that valve too at or near the pump...

Let us know.

Old 08-19-14, 05:45 PM
S
HI
sorry for delay- dog got SICK- he's kind of OK now but thought he had "bloat"... Anyway- all good ideas- I did run the water for LONG time and no change in temp (possibly got warmer) Then as mentioned it can be COLD later that same day/eve! I'm wondering if the last post (Mike in NJ) may have a point. It's not a really old water heater but it's been making noises for about 2yrs I've been ignoring... I don't think it's a local faucet mixing valve as it's ALL the fixtures. I have not tried the outside hose to see if it's affected at the same time- but I WILL. (I forgot about ice cubes for the dog- dah!) I have some in a jug for him now in the fridge for times this happens- it's unpredictable/annoying. I'm sure Costa Rica has warm water as it's Tropical (wish I was there- lol) but I need some cold water- You're right- it is subjective- sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy- but then when it changes back then I realize it wasn't me- there's something wrong~ I have a meat thermometer... i'll check to see the degrees are useable for this? Then we can try again to figure this out. (I gotta ask my brother how to shut off just the HOT water???) tx! deb

Old 08-19-14, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
I don't think it's a local faucet mixing valve as it's ALL the fixtures.

It would affect the whole home...

If you want help take a pic of your shower valves, and also several pics of the water heater and piping nearby.......

That may clear things up....

Old 08-23-14, 11:56 PM
S
HI- maybe I sounded confusing- I meant don't think it's a specific mixing valve (eg the kitchen faucet) as it's affecting the other fixtures too... so I see your point. I'll try to post water heater/pipes & shower pics here (I presume I use "advanced" tab- I've never used pics before...
tx
deb

Old 08-24-14, 12:36 AM
S
Pics re: why Cold water not always Cold in kitchen/bathroom?

HI,
ok here are the pics requested of the hot water heater (it's a mess) says 2005 on it, and shower... (SORRY THEY'RE SIDEWAYS)
deb

Name:  hot water heater pic.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  hot waterheater 2.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  24.8 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 08-24-14 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Rotate images.
Old 08-24-14, 08:48 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sorry spike I lost the shower valve image when I rotated you images. Please repost.

Old 08-28-14, 11:31 PM
S
shower pic

Name:  shower.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  16.4 KB
thanks for straightening out the other ones... HOpe these are helpful. Problem still exists- weather is cooler so not from air temps. (tried to delete above duplicate pic- no luck)

Attached Images  
Old 09-02-14, 05:17 PM
S
HI,
just checking in if adding the shower pic back was any help- still having the temperature problems...
and can't be certain without a thermometer- but the outside hose doesn't feel super cold (at least not this evening but it's COOL- the kitchen can be room temp at times- I haven't checked those simultaneously- just the inside fixtures) Again, this issue comes & goes at will- can't figure it out. Can't afford plumber.
deb