Cold Water runs Hot for a minute or so

Old 08-17-14, 08:11 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cold Water runs Hot for a minute or so

I had a water leak under the slab about a year ago and they repiped my home and put the pipes in the attic. Ever since when I turn on the cold water it runs warm to hot for a minute or so before cold. The hot water runs cold as normal and then hot.
I complained about this right away and they said it was because the pipes were in the attic. I don't buy it because if that was the case why wouldn't the hot water run warm/hot from the start. This is on all faucets. I have a single handle in the kitchen and showers and bathroom sinks are double handles. The plumbers that did the piping are not offering any solutions other than the one that it is because the pipes are in the attic. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-14, 09:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Most pipes here are run in the attic and yes the first run can be hot as Hades in some houses. Your hot water pipes may be insulated but your cold water pipes not insulated. I'd expect that in California with all their energy regulations.

Old 08-18-14, 08:24 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this was only in the summer I would not think much of it but it is during the winter also. Thanks. I will see if the cold water needs insulation on it. Might just have to call in a plumber to check it out and insulate if needed.

Old 08-18-14, 02:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
I have seen it happen when hot and cold lines are run right next to each other. The hot water line transfers it's heat to the cold. When you open a cold faucet you get the water that's been sitting in the pipe and heated next to the hot line. When you turn on the hot you get cooler water at first because it's lost it's heat to the cold line. Then after running a while the water in the lines gets flushed out and things work like they should. It can be really annoying when the pipes are next to each other for only part of the run. Then you can have the cold water start cold, then get hot, then go cold again.