Plastic culvert repair need advice

Old 08-20-14, 02:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plastic culvert repair need advice

Hopefully this is the right section. seemed the best from my options.

My yard used to have a small (usually dry) creek (It can roar a bit when it rains a bunch). at some point, the previous owner laid a culvert and covered it so it was all flat. I recently discovered a sinkhole as a result of the pipe coming apart at one of the joints. It looks like a 24" plastic pipe, with no union. you can tell from the picture, it looks like one pipe used to slide over the other, but everything has shifted, and the pipes aren't even touching, and aren't even lined up straight.

I'm looking for repair ideas that avoid digging up hole sections of that culvert. The only thing I've thought of so far is to somehow form a concrete "union" all the way around.... Anybody got anything else?

Thanks!

Name:  pipe.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  49.7 KB

Old 08-20-14, 03:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Are you sure that is a 24" diameter pipe?

It would be best to dig up a little on each side and see if you can attach the proper sized coupler.

Old 08-20-14, 03:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
They do make couplers for plastic piping and many are split into two pieces which should help with installation. You will have to dig around so you have access to the full circumference of both ends of the pipe.

I am concerned that it looks like the pipes are at an angle to each other. A coupling can handle some misalignment but that looks like a 10 degree angle.

Old 08-20-14, 06:28 PM
J
I'm looking for repair ideas that avoid digging up hole sections of that culvert. The only thing I've thought of so far is to somehow form a concrete "union" all the way around.... Anybody got anything else?

i like the concrete union idea.

in the roofing section at a big box store......fine a 12 inch wide roll of flashing

use it to make a coupling all the way around the pipe to make a smooth surface inside

maybe duct tape the joints to keep the concrete out of the pipe

pour concrete around the out side of the pipe

Old 08-21-14, 01:59 PM
J
Thanks guys! The pipe is 18" ID (measured last night), not 24.

yes, the pips are at an angle to each other -- so i was worried a coupler might not work -- however, maybe a combination of that and concrete to fill the gaps?

Johnsc -- thanks! If i go with concrete, that might work well. i was trying to think of what I could put in there to make the "inside" of the form -- because its obviously nothing coming out. And if i put that flashing on the outside of the pipe, then no worries about it "falling in"

Hmm, at least I have a couple ideas to chew on. Thanks again!

Old 08-21-14, 02:02 PM
J
hmmmm.. just came across this -- 18" Culvert Band Coupler
http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing...444-c-8569.htm

that looks wider than the plastic couplers -- and may be long enough to make up for the angle? I could still plan on some concrete as a sealant to keep water from seeping out since this obviously won't make a tight seal on either pipe...??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: