torpedo level / slope / 2" pipe

Old 08-26-14, 02:30 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
torpedo level / slope / 2" pipe

Im going to reveal my stupidity here...

Im trying to figure out how to use a torpedo level to find 1/8 of an inch slope on a 2" pipe. I have been running the pipe and using the level where the bubble is just slightly encroaching one of the lines indicating I am not level but sloping in the desired direction.

I don't have a 4' level. If I need an 1/8" slope, is slightly encroaching a line about right?

Old 08-26-14, 04:52 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Lift the low end of the level until the bubble is dead on and see how much air gap you have to the pipe. That tells your slope.

Old 08-26-14, 05:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Whenever I get a new level I like to check that it's accurate. Find a surface where the level indicates level. Pick it up and turn it exactly 180 degrees and see if it still indicates level. Then flip it over and repeat to make sure that it's accurate on both sides.

For establishing a slope I cheat a bit. If the level is 6" long I tape something thats 1/8" thick to one end to give me 1/4" per foot fall. If the level is 1' long I tape something 1/4" thick to the end to give the same fall. That way I'm always going for a even bubble. By varying the thickness of the spacer you can reliably hit any angle you want and don't have to worry about what half a bubble means to one worker versus another.

Old 08-26-14, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
A 1/4 of a bubble on any level is 1/4" per foot slope....1/8" bubble is 1/8" slope ect.....

The line , left or right of the bubble, is not the same measurement on all levels.

Longer levels are more accurate is all...

Old 08-27-14, 06:28 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Level

A 1/4 of a bubble
Fascinating! Can you explain in more detail? What do you mean by the above expression?

Old 08-27-14, 09:24 AM
Z
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
Wirepuller I think i know what mike means.

A 1/4 of a bubble on any level is 1/4" per foot slope....1/8" bubble is 1/8" slope ect.....

Well I’ll be danged! Just put my 2 foot level up on my desk, propped up the end so ¼ bubble was past (on the outside of) the line, and sure enough the gap between the end of the level and the desk was ½ inch. So I guess that does indicate ¼ inch drop per foot. Never knew that!

For establishing a slope I cheat a bit. If the level is 6" long I tape something thats 1/8" thick to one end to give me 1/4" per foot fall. If the level is 1' long I tape something 1/4" thick to the end to give the same fall. That way I'm always going for a even bubble. By varying the thickness of the spacer you can reliably hit any angle you want and don't have to worry about what half a bubble means to one worker versus another.
Now that is a really great idea. Putting that in the old memory bank.

Old 08-27-14, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Add me to the "Learn something new everyday" crowd, though I did know about using a spacer. Since most of my use of a level has been wanting level, not slope, I never really had to do it though, except on some concrete work

Old 08-27-14, 10:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Also learned something new today.

Old 08-27-14, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
LOL.. I thought everyone knew this to some extent...

( I guess its a plumber thing.. Opps I let the secret out!!!)

They make vari pitch levels, but I was taught with a bullet level and how to pitch pipe over 30 years ago.

For large pipe and long runs I use a 2ft or 4 ft level.

Empire Level - How to Read Vari-Pitchâ„¢

Empire Level - Torpedo Levels

I use any cheap one like this..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37176[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: