Moving Roof Soil Pipe

Old 08-28-14, 11:57 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving Roof Soil Pipe

Hi all,

I also posted this in the roofing section, as I wasn't sure who could best help.

I have a leak in my three season porch. Unfortunately, the previous owners left the soil pipe in the valley of the roof when adding the porch. I had a plumber come to give me an estimate on moving the soil pipe. After going in my attic, he said it would be best to move the soil pipe by going through the wall in my kitchen (which adjoins to the porch). He quoted me at 675.

My cousin, who is a construction guy, said he thinks they are not going through the attic because it's more work, and he doesn't agree with their cost estimate (which includes moving the pipe, putting a new boot on, and repatching the drywall of the kitchen.

Is it wrong to go through the wall? Am I being robbed? Any info would be appreciated!

Old 08-29-14, 06:52 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Never post twice.

Old 08-29-14, 10:09 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Most of us here read posts throughout the entire forum, so we'll find it one way or another.

Running a vent out the wall and up to the roofline is typically allowed in most locales, so I don't see anything inherently wrong with doing that.

As for whether it would be easier/cheaper/better to run it through the attic, a lot of that depends on the construction of the house and where the pipe actually has to run. It's often difficult to run large diameter pipes horizontally through any walls, and pretty close to impossible to run any up into the small space between the roof and walls on the lower end of the roof. You could probably call and ask your plumber why he thinks running it through the attic is a bad idea.

As for the cost, rates vary based on location and the difficulty of the work, but figure it's a couple hours of work to cut the pipe, reroute it, cut and seal the roof, etc. At $100-$150/hr (which includes travel, his truck, licensing, insurance, etc etc etc)... that sounds about in line. You could always get a second plumber out to give you his opinion and estimate - that's the best way to ensure you're not being ripped off.

Also, many plumbers don't do drywall and/or roofing work. Drywall is time consuming and it's easy enough to find a handyman type person to do it. Roofing is a lot of liability due to potential leaks. Be sure it's clear to you and the plumber you choose that they will (or will not) do that work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: