Main Floor laundry plumbing

Old 09-05-14, 07:57 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Main Floor laundry plumbing

So against my better judgement, I'm looking into the wife's request to move the washer and dryer from the basement to the main floor, back hallway.

Anyway, looking to confirm a couple thoughts as budget is tight, so no room to redo work.
The washer/dryer will be ~15ft east of the kitchen sink. The grey water and domestic water for the kitchen runs directly below the washer's new location.
Knowing the washer discharge is pumped, how high should I put the connection point for the grey water?
Pee trap, how far below the washer connection point should it be mounted? I'm assuming withing a vertical foot or so of the tie in point on the existing kitchen grey water line?
Vent stack... More then 5ft from kitchen sink, so going to need something. All plumbing will be within an interior wall, with 2 more floors above it. Below the floor (basement ceiling), I only have ~8in to play with, so I don't see there being enough room for the vent and pee trap, so that is probably out. What can I do about a vent stack?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-14, 04:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Apparently, your wife doesn't want to carry the laundry up & down the stairs. Maybe suggest a laundry chute. That would save her at least one trip carrying the wash.

Old 09-05-14, 05:27 PM
N
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
Apparently, your wife doesn't want to carry the laundry up & down the stairs. Maybe suggest a laundry chute. That would save her at least one trip carrying the wash.
I've been trying to get around to doing a chute. We have a 33 cavity that currently runs the middle of the house and houses the old chimney that is no longer used. I need to take the chimney out, but it would allow access from all three floors.
This was part of my 2 year mechanical room build in the basement, but getting laid off last summer put the brakes of that project.
Just looking at the feasibility of her request, even though I know the washer and dryer will vibrate the main floor. Won't be as bad as it could be as the requested location is between the two main support beams (8ft span between main beams, sistered 28 joists).
I haven't been on here in a while, but do have a thread or two about this house and some odd/interesting stuff in it.

Back on topic... The wall behind the washer/dryer location backs onto the kitchen pantry (5810 room). I'm planning on pulling the drywall on the pantry side to access the plumbing. The pantry is getting expanded to ~12812 ( removing false ceiling and going back to original height in all rooms I touch).

Edit:
Bedrooms are on second and third floor. Forgot to mention that

Old 09-05-14, 06:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wait for some of the others to comment on your design. I'm not sure about the vent. I don't own a house but if I were to buy one, everything would have to be on one floor.

Old 09-05-14, 06:39 PM
N
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
Wait for some of the others to comment on your design. I'm not sure about the vent. I don't own a house but if I were to buy one, everything would have to be on one floor.
I'm going to work on convincing the wife on the original plan of taking out the old chimney and running a chute. I'll have to run temporary plumbing to make the chute work as I won't be able to put in the walls of the mechanical room at this time. Have most of the plumbing material already as I had been buying the pex and components as they went on sale.

Still interested to hear how to address the venting specifically as I'm not familiar with an in wall solution.

Old 09-05-14, 06:50 PM
N
A quick Google search notes mention of an air admittance valve as being a possible solution. Will look into it and if it will meet local code.
I still prefer the washer and dryer in the basement to keep the noise, heat and vibration down there.

Old 09-05-14, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
FYI the washer needs 2" to the stack. The kitch sink is 1 1 /2 most likely...

What will You do??? IDK...

Someone posted canada venting rules recently. Apparently you can wet vent your heart out in canada....

I say do whatever you want... Your not in America.......

I will try to find it....( the codes)

Old 09-05-14, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
FYI... I found it... Its based on FU, and if you can supply enough vent... To me its stupid ... ( IMO). Eliminate wet vents and vent so you dont have to do the hard calculations...

There are certain practices applied in the US in plumbing that are common sense...

From my years of plumbing I agree no wet vents should be allowed...

http://www.oboa.on.ca/events/2011/se.../files/211.pdf