Today's Plumbing Suprise - Repair Help Needed!

Old 09-06-14, 10:26 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Today's Plumbing Suprise - Repair Help Needed!

The Y in the photo is leaking at the top joint where the pipe exits the paneling at the right. The joint between the Y and the nipple between it and the painted 45. I need to replace the Y.

What do I have to do here?
Can I couple off the bottom that is connected to the cast iron?
Or do I have to replace the connection at the cast iron? Is that a male or female adapter screwed into the cast?
Finally, if I can couple off that how do I clean off the paint to be able to glue?

Name:  DSCN0004.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  24.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-14, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
Not a plumber, but I would suggest using rubber banded couplings. Fernco Flexible Stock Coupling | Plumbing and Drain Flexible Coupling | Fernco They can be more expensive ($6 ea) but are a big problem solver and are available at the big box stores. Glue to the unpainted pipe and use two rubber couplings on the painted pipes.

Old 09-06-14, 11:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Denatured alcohol will dissolve latex paint and shouldn't hurt the PVC if you don't go crazy with it. Lacquer thinner would be needed to dissolve oil base paint but would probably be riskier. Sanding the paint might be good enough.

Old 09-06-14, 11:25 AM
Z
I assume the paint caused the weak joint, when someone tied into or repaired that Y (looks kinda new) they probably didn't clean it off so well.

Anyway, I have the couplings in mind but I wonder if I should just start at the cast hub.... or am I asking for trouble removing that joint?

The painted horizontal length exiting the panel will be replaced as I have another repair on the other side of the wall with the same pipe.

Old 09-06-14, 02:18 PM
Attachment 37820

I marked your photo where to cut. If joint entering cast iron isn't leaking, I would leave it.

Use shielded no-hub couplings (solid jacket), tighten to 60in/lbs.

Pipe going to right, at top, this you can attach how you want. It gives you room to play with.

To get paint off ABS, I usually scrape it with a semi-dull object, like the side of a chisel, then sand it a little.