plumber charge for parts?

Old 09-08-14, 11:14 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
plumber charge for parts?

Very stupid question? Do most plumbers charge for parts or is things like basic fittings etc part of the hourly price? If I buy 80 bucks of material at the hardware store would a plumber give me a mark uped charge in addition to their hourly rate?

Don't want to sound like a fool, just wondering about basic stuff like pvc fittings etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-14, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure I understand your question.
Plumbers will charge on time and materials. If you supply the materials, they should compensate you for that, which would mean time only.
But if you mean for example, a $140.00 hourly rate.. That's labor only, parts would be extra.

Old 09-08-14, 01:38 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Everything that is used on a job is charged for including thread sealant, solder, flux and rags. Some is included in the "overhead" built into the hourly rate but anything that can easily have its value affixed is charged.

Most professionals, regardless of the trade, dislike using customer-supplied parts. It is impossible for them to guarantee such parts and that is the primary reason.

Old 09-08-14, 01:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I found even if I gave a customer a list they came back with the wrong part. Example: Send them to Sears Hardware for an 1¼" trap for a lavatory and they would come back with a 1½ with reducer washers because the salesmen told them it was better. (1½ wouldn't work period because of the space between the wall and tailpiece It was a pedestal and no way to swing it and still be hidden by the pedestal.)

Old 09-08-14, 02:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Even in the painting field, I've never liked it much when the customer supplied the coatings. If I supplied the coatings I knew I'd have the right ones and enough of it. Nobody wants to stop and have to come back later because they were short 1 gallon or 1-2 small parts. As Furd stated, when the contractor supplies the material - he knows what quality he is working with, sometimes that is an unknown when someone else supplies the materials. Also a contractor can generally buy what he needs cheaper than a homeowner can.

Old 09-08-14, 02:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Generally, most contractors don't pass their savings to the customers, if they have a discount in the first place.

I've had people meet me at home depot or wherever & let them pay for the materials that I chose. That way, I get the correct materials & nothing comes out of my pocket.

Old 09-08-14, 02:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
most contractors don't pass their savings to the customers
Maybe not but when the contractor supplies the materials he normally has that cost included in the bid. I've never charged $X per gallon of paint but rather estimate how much the paint will cost, add a little to be safe and then add that to the labor part of the bid.most contractors don't pass their savings to the customers. When a job is time and materials [like plumbing repair] you are going to round the price per part up mainly because you also have to include what it cost you [time/gas] to get or stock the materials. Normally a customer supplying the material/part doesn't equal a cost savings for the customer.

Old 09-08-14, 03:11 PM
I've never liked it much when the customer supplied the coatings
Don't get me wrong guys, I don't like customer supplied material. I've gotten better at letting them know that. It's not to their advantage. For me, the number one thing I run into is someone wanting to reinstall their old faucet or buy one at a "discount" store. Same applies for disposer.

Also, $140.00 an hour may sound expensive. I can do my own plumbing, but there have been times when I would have paid that and more to make the pain go away.... I'm sure we've all been there. A good plumber is invaluable.

Old 09-08-14, 05:01 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Best answer I ever heard for this type of question was, "You don't carry eggs into a restaurant and ask them to cook them!"

When I was doing auto repair I would tell the customer that I welcomed them getting their own parts. I didn't warranty their parts and charged them again when they failed, plus I added to bill to compensate for no parts markup. Usually that ended their wanting to furnish parts.

The best thing is let the Pro choose his own parts and pay them for their labor and parts.

RR

Old 09-08-14, 06:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Auto repair is another story. Occasionally, I still do auto repair. I replaced a starter last week. The customer bought the part. I didn't have to guarantee the part.

Old 09-27-14, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
My truck repair guy has no problems with me furnishing parts. Naturally I would not expect him to warrant the parts. We live sort of out of the way, and parts can be a day or so away. Right now, I have a heater core, fan motor, blend doors, etc ready for him to replace when cooler weather arrives. Since he has to remove the interior of my truck, I figure he is ahead of the game having the parts on hand, reducing bay down time.