cap or plug galvanized pipe exiting slab?

Old 09-09-14, 06:15 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cap or plug galvanized pipe exiting slab?

The attached picture literally says a 1000 words here. The leaking galvanized pipe goes to a faucet in the yard that I don't need so I want to plug it. Most of the house is frame on piers construction that was built in 1934, but this pipe is part of a bathroom/laundry area addition that was built in the 70's using slab-on-grade construction. I replaced all of the supply side plumbing in the original house shortly after I bought it in 2005 (yeah, great timing, I know) but replacing the galvanized crap in the addition is a bit more than I want to tackle, if repairing it requires busting up the slab (especially since I just found out that my Hitachi SDS drill is broken...).

So, what would the pros suggest here? I'm not averse to hiring a plumber, btw, if that is what it will take, but I am curious if there are any reasonable alternatives to plugging/capping the pipe off besides busting up all of the concrete in the addition.Name:  slab_leak.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  49.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-14, 02:37 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Can you clarify what the pipe actually does & where it goes? Is it a cold water feed to hose bib? How is it supplied? What valve regulates it? Is the addition the only section that is built on a slab?

Old 09-09-14, 02:48 PM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
As Pulpo is possibly suggesting, can you trace it back to the source and cut/cap it at that point?

Old 09-09-14, 03:03 PM
M
Pulpo: the pipe supplies a hose bibb in the yard and i don't care if it is no longer functional. Frankly, it's a trip/mower hazard, as it barely protrudes above the ground. [EDIT] - the addition is the only part built on a slab and the rest of the house was re-piped with PEX from the street valve to the house, then PVC/CPVC for the cold/hot supply lines, respective. Solvent to FPT unions were used to connect the addition's galvanized supply lines to the new plumbing.

Norm201: The addition is a bathroom which is functional and much-used. To cap this pipe off at the source, so to speak, would require removing a toilet, tearing up the tile and then cutting into the slab. I can easily see that amount of work costing $1000's.

I would much prefer to cut away some more of the slab to get at some "fresh" pipe and then somehow cap it off. Obviously there is no way to get a pipe threader in there, so I was thinking there might be some kind of epoxy I could inject into the pipe (with the water turned off, of course) to plug it. Or perhaps I could strip off the surface rust and wrap it with epoxy/fiberglass cloth to seal it (again, with the water turned off).

Yes these are cringe-worthy kludges, but as I pointed out above, the alternative of cutting through the slab to find the tee the galvanized pipe is screwed into will be very mess/expensive.

Thanks for the replies, btw!

Last edited by MagicSmoker; 09-09-14 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added info for Pulpo
Old 09-09-14, 03:39 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If the cold water supply valve to the added bathroom, controls both the bathroom & the hose pipe, then the true source is before the added bathroom. There must be separate hot & cold valves that feed the added bathroom. Is that correct?

Old 09-09-14, 05:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 840 Votes on 787 Posts
That pipe looks to be in pretty nasty/rusty shape. I wouldn't hold much hope in threading it.

You would think that it would connect to some type of valve as it was there before the bathroom.

Old 09-10-14, 03:45 AM
M
Oh, you guys have the direction of the water flow here backwards... the rusted pipe is after the bathroom addition, and not the supply line to it (and the hose bibb). What the picture shows, then, is the line to the hose bibb as it exits the addition.

I do have a set of pipe threading dies, but I agree that it does not appear that threading it would be practical and, anyway, the leak is very close to the slab so I would have to chip out quite a bit of the slab to get a threading die on there (and even then the pipe is likely too damaged/thin to properly thread).

Old 09-10-14, 05:32 AM
Here's a quote from Pulpo:

If the cold water supply valve to the added bathroom, controls both the bathroom & the hose pipe, then the true source is before the added bathroom
He has the right idea. Somewhere in the original house is a pipe feeding the bath and pipe to hose bib.
You should be able to cut off cold water supply to both, either by valve or cutting off supply pipe.
You would need to figure out how to get supply lines back into bath only, either through walls or up through attic and back down. This involves cutting through walls, but it's easier than cutting through slab. Repipes are common around here because of slab leaks. They always find a way of bypassing old connections in slab and rerouting pipes through walls.

Old 09-10-14, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Solvent to FPT unions were used to connect the addition's galvanized supply lines to the new plumbing.
So these lines must re enter the slab near the connections above?

Yes from this point, as handyone states, a repipe of bath only in pex is the the sure way to go. Repipe in walls or from above in ceiling and pipe/stub down..

I would not settle for anything less...