Clean out Plug in Basement Floor

Old 09-10-14, 04:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clean out Plug in Basement Floor

I am refinishing my basement and the clean out plug in the floor sticks up about 11/2 inches above the floor. Before I put down the carpet I would like to make the top of the plug as level with the floor as possible. Is it possible to cut off the top of the clean out pipe and/or replace the plug with a flat cover?
The current cover is of the standard type with a big square nut for removing it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-14, 05:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
There are two types of standard caps. A big square sticking up (male) and a square, recessed socket (female). If your's is the male type I'd see if the female can do what you want.

Old 09-11-14, 12:14 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Don't forget to cut out the carpet so you have access to the clean out. They make brass cover plates for the finished floor. You might have to look on-line or go to a plumbing supply (not a big box homecenter) to find the recessed plug and cover plate.

Old 09-11-14, 05:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
When I did my basement I did not want to put in access panels but knew that someday finding cleanouts might be needed. The ceiling in my basement is pure white. I used a label maker to print really small labels that I stuck to the ceiling: "drain cleanout directly above" "drain cleanout in floor directly below". The problem is I know they are there but so far nobody has commented seeing the labels so someone in the future may be screwed if they don't look up.