Natural gas line questions

Old 09-11-14, 09:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Natural gas line questions

Looking to extend my gas line in the house - permitted of course. Currently have 3/4" coming in from the meter and this splits at a "T" to 3/4 - 3/4 - 1", the 1" then continues on to the furnace and ends in 1/2 at the connection. The 3/4 line extends down to the water heater and "T"s off to a 3/4 -3/4 - 1/2 with the water heater on the 1/2. The other 3/4 end is currently plugged.

I'm looking at adding a gas dryer and gas stove/range where we currently have electric appliances I have already wired new standalone circuits for these appliances. Curious if my current setup will provide enough BTUs to accomplish this - I have looked at the pipe sizing chart, but would like a 2nd opinion.

Diagram posted below.

Name:  Gas Line Setup.jpg
Views: 3730
Size:  12.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-14, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums......

Whats the length of pipe from the farthust appliance from the meter? Is it the 1" line to the furnace @ 34ft?

Or is that 23ft total to the water heater I see?

Old 09-11-14, 09:29 PM
M
Apologies, left a measurement out, the longest is currently the line to the water heater. It is 37ft total length from meter entrance to connection on W/h. I also was mistaken on the furnace length - it is 33ft. with 7ft of that length 1/2".

Thanks for the greeting!

Old 09-11-14, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Does this make sense?

Was the water heater there first then the furnace was added?

How many feet does the 3/4 come in from the meter before it goes to 1"..

Does your meter say 2 psi written on it anywhere?

Name:  gas.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  10.6 KB

Old 09-11-14, 09:52 PM
M
That does make sense, wasnt sure to use 1/2 or 3/4 for range, figured bigger would be better, although the stove is only 1 yr old so I dont see replacing that anytime soon. The length of 3/4 before the 1" is T'd in is roughly 32", this factors in 6" x 6" x 15" x 5" of 3/4 then the T is in the line.

I snapped a picture of the meter plate if it helps as I did not see a 2 PSI anywhere on the meter.

EDIT - as to the water heater before the furnace piping, I'm not sure we just bought the house 3 months ago, I will say the 1" pipe does not look original.

Name:  0912140041a.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  38.0 KB

Old 09-11-14, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
I would rather you tie into the 1" near the furnace. The water heater was there first IMO..

Its not really right . They will probably fail you... I wonder if there was a permit for the furnace and added gas line..?

I can draw something tomorrow as its late here...

I may forget so you may need to remind me....

Old 09-11-14, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Technically too your gas meter is too small.. Its a 175k meter and you will have 224k of appliances... Just call the gas company and they will change it...

Old 09-12-14, 07:56 AM
M
Alright so called the gas company, have to wait to hear back from them on the cost involved with upgrading the meter. I'll say this, my mothers house has the same gas appliances at 220k btu's and I've never noticed a problem, clothes dry quickly, food cooks normally, etc. Is it a problem that the meter is undersized? She has the same size meter, although its 35ft max run on 3/4" pipe.

Also if you could proved the layout of pipes you recommend that would be greatly appreciated. If I have to re-pipe existing appliances, so be it.

Old 09-12-14, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
I'll say this, my mothers house has the same gas appliances at 220k btu's and I've never noticed a problem, clothes dry quickly, food cooks normally, etc
Even though the meters can handle a higher btu then the data plate says its really not right..

Just tell the gas companany and they will replace at no charge.
Is it a problem that the meter is undersized?
It can be. If lack of gas then carbon build up on burners and lack of draft can cause CO issues... You can wake up dead as they say...

Here is how I would do it if it were my home... Since the 1" looks like it was added after the fact the 3/4 line was originally the trunk line... You need to make the 1" the trunk for volume purposes...

Name:  gas.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  11.5 KB

Old 09-12-14, 08:31 AM
M
Hmm gas company (Consumer's Energy) told me over the phone there will be a charge to upgrade the meter. I'll have to wait see what the guy says when he calls me. Also I completely understand using the 1in as the main trunk line as 3/4 will not provide enough flow, would you come off the meter @ 1in, or leave the 32" of 3/4 in place and just extend the 1in where it currently ends? Just curious in case the new meter only has 3/4 output.

Old 09-12-14, 08:35 AM
M
Just a sidenote looked at my mothers meter, hers does say "2 PSI" and every appliance has a regulator attached to their respective branches in the basement. Maybe why she has the same meter, but no problem with btu's?

Old 09-12-14, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
would you come off the meter @ 1in, or leave the 32" of 3/4 in place and just extend the 1in where it currently ends? Just curious in case the new meter only has 3/4 output.
The new meter will be 3/4" As soon as you make the turn to enter the home it should be 1".. the 32" is a bit long IMO..

Hmm gas company (Consumer's Energy) told me over the phone there will be a charge to upgrade the meter.
There should be no charge. Tell him the meter is 175K and you have224K of appliances. They need to supply you with a meter that can handle your load...

But I assume all gas companys are not equal... I would argue the point...

I was in the same boat. When I called the gas company they asked me the same thing. I said to them if I have CO issues and someone dies in my home I will hold you responsible.. They sent someone with in hours to change the meter @ no charge....

Old 09-12-14, 10:20 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Mike,

If the original poster is going to do a pretty significant repipe per your suggestions, would you recommend exploring CSST as an option?

It seems to be all the rage in terms of natural gas piping as it's quicker and easier to install than black steel. I haven't had the chance to work with it yet, so I don't know if it's worth all the hype.

Old 09-12-14, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
would you recommend exploring CSST as an option?
Absolutly... But I would do sections..

Meter to the 1".
3/3 piece after the 1" etc..

This way you dont need to turn out all those pipes to update, or cut unions in..

Just cut pipe and add csst adapters...

Old 09-12-14, 11:51 AM
M
Was looking into CSST, just called the city and verified that it is allowed - and it is. Any brand recommendation for CSST? I understand it looks like PEX piping with several manufacturers with their own fittings, etc. Is the stuff at Home Depot/Lowes acceptable? They carry Home-Flex. Only problem I see is they do not carry 1" CSST or 1" fittings, everything is 3/4 or 1/2.

Old 09-25-14, 05:36 AM
M
Just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice here - got the new gas pipes installed in the past few days and the inspector just left me with a green "Pass" tag! He saw the pipes that I was replacing, and said that it was a great idea to upgrade to 1" and branch evertything off that. Ended up using the good ole' black pipes as I couldn't justify the increased cost of CSST - lowest I could find 1" was 75ft @ $300 per roll.