Using basement rough-in for utility sink

Old 09-15-14, 01:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using basement rough-in for utility sink

I've installed supply lines for a utility sink in my basement. The basement is roughed-in with 3 drains. Here's a picture (sorry about all my brewing stuff being in the way -- the third drain is in between a bucket and brew kettle roughly in the center of the image.)

I need to hook up a drain from my utility sink, and the drain closest to the wall would be my preferred choice. Can I assume that this is properly vented? Can I test whether it has a trap installed already, or should I put a trap under the sink?

How close to the wall can I run the line? On that note, the line running up from the leftmost drain runs to the kitchen above. Is there a good reason why it's using the drain in the middle of the room and not the one close to the wall? And is there any reason I shouldn't relocate it so that it runs down along the wall to the other 2.5" drain? I'm planning to put my brewery to the immediate left of the utility sink, so this pipe is quite inconvenient!

Thanks much!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
While we wait on our plumbers, maybe you could just move the brew kettle or whatever is obstructing the view to the drain so we can see it. It is purely a guess on our part, whereas a clear picture would probably give us what we need to formulate an opinion. Why is the horizontal pipe on the vertical in the middle of the room not capped off? Is your present slop sink connected to a drain, or is it dumping into that bucket? Just trying to see all three drains and their vents, if any.

Old 09-15-14, 02:38 PM
S
Here's a link to a few other pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ng95cfo1h...YV3QGQbn-HBRDa

The sink right now is just dumping into the bucket -- I want to plumb a drain and that's what my initial post was about.

The horizontal pipe is capped off. We just bought the house about a month ago, so I really have no idea why it's there -- I'm guessing it's stubbed for a sink.

Old 09-15-14, 04:15 PM
I see the internal plug, now. Yes it is stubbed for a sink, and the short one in the floor appears to be a stub for a toilet. It should be about 4" across. It is not viable for a sink drain. OK, we still don't have the picture of the third drain, unless I missed it in the pictures.

Old 09-15-14, 07:21 PM
S
Sorry for the confusion. If you look at the first image, you can see all 3 of the drains. It will probably help to right-cilck-> open in new tab, or something similar (the image is very large, the forum scales it down pretty small). Also, in the second batch of images, the close up is of that third drain -- the one closest to the wall and the one I'm wanting to use for the sink.

Old 09-16-14, 02:57 AM
Using picture two which shows all three drains, imagine a bathroom sitting there. Your sink would be connected to the one with the lateral pipe. Your toilet sitting on the one to the left, and the one in the back would be a tub or shower. If you pull the carpet back from the shower drain, you may find the concrete very thin, if non existent. It is referred to a tub pit by some. It will contain a ptrap. You will need to determine this before you proceed to use it as a drain.

Old 09-16-14, 12:17 PM
S
Thanks, Chandler. Can I assume it is properly vented?

Old 09-16-14, 04:18 PM
S
...the house was built in 93, btw...