Question on what shut off to get


Old 09-17-14, 01:40 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 204
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on what shut off to get

I have town water and I have one old shut off be fore my water meter in my basement, it looks to be a check or a gate valve. I'm not shore. Then somebody put in a newer shut off after the meter both shut offs do not turn 100% off. So I'm looking at replacing the one newer one with what type of valve is the best to get? a ball valve? It's 3/4" copper with sweated valves. and the psi throw them is around 100. after the valves I have a reducer to drop it to 60 psi.

On a side note, can a pressure reducer go bad and what are the signs?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-14, 01:50 PM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 18,139
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Yes a ball valve.. Make sure the installer does not overheat when soldering.. Also the water will need to be shut off at the street to change the one before the meter...

Use a WOG..

IMO go to your local plumbing supply and get a watts valve..

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-14, 08:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 4,297
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure reducers can go bad.
Simple enough to check the pressure.
Watts 3/4 in. Plastic Water Pressure Test Gauge-DP IWTG at The Home Depot

When it does go bad you can expect plumbing leaks, water hammer, toilet flush valve messing up.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: