Pumping RV antifreeze

Old 09-18-14, 10:42 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pumping RV antifreeze

I am considering pumping non tox antifreeze into the water system of our vacation home when we close it for the winter. Previously we have been draining the system via a drain at the lowest point in the basement. I have been looking for pumps that I could use to do this. I haven't found any that are rated to pump antifreeze. I plan on closing the inlet and outlet of the water heater, using the washer hook ups to fill the pipes. When H & C are both filled, drain the water heater. Any recommendations on what pump to use and any idea how much antifreeze it would take? Two full baths, two story house.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-14, 12:06 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Antifreeze

A pump which pumps water will pump RV antifreeze.

Tell us how many feet and what size pipe so we can calculate the gallons needed.

You will need to include all drain traps.

I would evacuate the pipes with compressed air and only use antifreeze in standing water items such as traps and toilets.

Old 09-18-14, 12:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have been blowing out the lines in the past but have never been able to deal with the dishwasher supply properly. Additionally, not all the pipes that I can see are pitched properly to the main drain. Pitch on the pipes in the walls is. just a guess. I can see about 80 ft of 3/4 inch cold and the same for hot in the basement. Probably no more that 40 ft of 1/2 inch cold heading upstairs similar amount for hot.

Old 09-18-14, 02:51 PM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Pipes

I calculated roughly 4.5 gal. for the pipes alone.

Old 09-18-14, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
In the link below is a pump you can use. I have a similar although smaller. I use it to drain failed hot water heaters quicker.

The one in the link has the fittings you need to connect right to the laundry faucets..... using the washer hose.

Portable Utility Pump - Save on this Portable Utility Pump

Another ideal pump. This is the newer version of the one I have. Perfect for what you want to do. Retails from $60-$75.
M40P-04

Old 09-18-14, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I would evacuate the pipes with compressed air and only use antifreeze in standing water items such as traps and toilets.
I have been blowing out the lines in the past but have never been able to deal with the dishwasher supply properly.

Blowing the lines out is the best way IMO..

Are you considering antifreeze in water lines because of the DW?

You just need to run the cycle on the DW while blowing out the lines... And add AF to the drain of DW and cycle accordingly