Bathroom Drainage

Old 09-20-14, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Drainage

Does this look ok to drain a shower and toilet in a new bathroom? The open end will tie into the existing pipe in the ground outside. The legs leading out to the drains themselves will be much shorter when installed

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-14, 08:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
The shower needs a vent. In that configuration, you'd add a wye at some point along the 2" shower branch and vent it up through the attic. It will provide venting for both fixtures.

Do you have a sink? How is that planned?

One other thing, the 3" tee needs to be a combo wye instead (wye with 45 deg elbow). Sanitary tees are not allowed on their side like that.

Old 09-22-14, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There will be no sink in this bathroom. There is one just outside of where this will be located and feeds into the drain from the other side of the room. This will be a 36" x 10' room with the toilet on one wall and the shower opposite. I have decided to bust up the concrete and bury this drain instead of building a raised floor over it since it was looking like a pretty tall step.If I put the sanitary tee facing straight up, would that be ok? Can I put the vent past the shower drain with a tee instead of a 90 in the 2"(tee opening to p trap facing up)? I want this drain right down the middle of the room and putting a vent straight up would have it in the middle of the room.

Old 09-23-14, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Digging is definitely the way to go, even though it's a bit more work than to just build a platform.

As to the wye, just swap out the 3x3x2 tee that you currently have there with a combo wye. It will look almost exactly the same, but will have a different sweep that is code-compliant for that layout.

For the vent, I would probably just change out the 2" 90deg elbow at the top left of the photo with a 2x2x2 wye. The 'wye' side of it goes to the shower. The straight side continues underground until you hit the wall that the 2" vent will turn vertically and up to the roof.