Purpose for Tieme valve ?

Old 09-24-14, 11:23 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Purpose for Tieme valve ?

Hi,

We have a series of about 30 rigid black plastic panels on the roof which heat the pool water. They are connected with 1.25" PVC as well as black tubing with stainless clamps. Aside from that there are two metallic valves inserted in the PVC. The markings on the valves are : TIEMME PH10 110-C Made in Italy.

I've searched the internet. Yes there is an Italian company named TIEMME but I can find no mention of this valve on their site nor elsewhere. I've sent them an email and hopefully I will hear back but I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this valve. Might the purpose be to release water if it reaches a certain temperature (say 110-C) ? or are they there to release air from the line ? Also can they be serviced (as in cleaned periodically) ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-14, 10:16 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
A picture of the valve might help as to its purpose. 110 celcius is approximately what water heater temp/pressure relief valves activate at, so that's a pretty good guess.

I understand you're supposed to use these valves once or twice a year to ensure they work correctly... but if they haven't been used recently, it's quite likely that they will leak after a test and have to be replaced.

Old 09-26-14, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
I doubt they are to release air but if you are in an area where the system could freeze..... those might be vacuum breaks. When you shut off the circulation pump, those valves allow air in and all the water drains out of the collectors and back to the pool.