Plumbing removal


Old 09-24-14, 02:26 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumbing removal

Hey all - this is my first post here. First time home owner, purchased first house about 18 months ago.

We have an outbuilding that is fully plumbed (has a shower, toilet, and sink). The water is all shut off to the building, but the plumbing is all still in tact. We want to remove all the fixtures and effectively remove the plumbing, but keep the lines underneath in case the next owners want to utilize the plumbing.

My question is this - after removing the toilet, sink, etc... how exactly do I "plug it up" for lack of a better term? I basically want to terminate all of the plumbing lines at the floor (or under the floor), but i'm not sure how to go about doing that. Are there fittings that I can buy to just cap all of the lines (including the sewage line under the toilet)? And could temperate swings possible do damage to my septic system with empty lines leading from the toilet to the septic?

I apologize if these answers are already on the board somewhere - I probably didn't use the correct terminology in my searches (again, very newb here).

Thanks for any and all advice and hope to see you guys around the forum!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-14, 02:51 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You can use test plugs to seal the drains.

Name:  457796.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  28.3 KB
Image Source: True Value
Old 09-24-14, 04:10 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 22,728
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
You didn't say what the pipes are made of but if they are PVC or ABS there are glue in test caps. They are less expensive than the removable type Ray2047 shows and are lower profile so they are easier to bury or cover over in a wall or floor. If the plumbing needs to be used in the future they are designed for the center to easily be knocked-out. A big benefit of the type Ray shows is that it can be used on any pipe material as long as you buy the correct size but I don't know their status as far as being permitted for more than temporary use.

Old 09-25-14, 12:59 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot and Ray! All the piping is PVC. I think I've got enough to go on. Thanks again!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: