Saddle valves...good or bad.

Old 09-30-14, 05:38 PM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
Saddle valves...good or bad.

Here's one that is new to me. Recently a fellow came into our store asking for a non-piercing saddle valve. I never heard of one and told him no such thing existed. He then proceeded to show me a Sears ice making install manual that clearly stated to NOT USE A SELF PIERCING SADDLE VALVE. Instead they want you to drill a hole into the side of a 1/2 supply line and attached this so called non-piercing saddle valve.

Now maybe there is a non-piercing valve but to drill a hole into a water supply line and allow drill chips to enter seems asinine to me. I understand that a high quality sharp drill will drill all the cut metal up and out. But lets be realistic here. It ain't gonna happen.

Comments?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-14, 05:56 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds stupid to me to.
Simple enough to cut the pipe and use a compression valve.

Old 09-30-14, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The non piercing type have a flat round protuberance for lack of a better word. The needle does not penetrate past it. You drill a hole in otherwise non leaking copper to install it. Best argument for not using any type saddle valve. Cut the copper and install either a compression, flare, solder type ball valve and call it a day.

Old 09-30-14, 07:01 PM
I have ran across this and I can say I always thought a saddle valve was OK for an ice line.
I was wrong.
Manufacturer calls for a "full port valve", Which means either a dual angle stop or a angle stop adapter.
I'm not 100%, but talking to the technician, it has to do with solenoid valve working properly.

Old 09-30-14, 07:07 PM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
I also agree about avoiding the saddle valve altogether. What puzzled me was the drilling into a pipe and not have metal filings get into the water stream.

Old 09-30-14, 07:12 PM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
A saddle valve, like many DIY items, is designed for quick easy installation by any un-qualified installer. Pretty basic and will get the job done. But of those who are commenting, and who do this for a living, I would hope that more secure means of addressing water supply would be proposed in lieu of the saddle valve option. I have a cutter, torch and plenty of solder and flux to make any installation for hook up permanent and leak free. I've gone under houses and have seen saddle valves leaking like there is no tomorrow. Out of sight and out of mind and wasting tons of water and money. Not a big fan of them.

Old 09-30-14, 07:28 PM
Instead they want you to drill a hole into the side of a 1/2 supply line and attached this so called non-piercing saddle valve.
We all know saddle valves are lacking. The point of drilling a hole, rather than the self piercing, is to ensure the "port" is large enough.

Lesson learned: Do not use saddle valves.

Old 09-30-14, 07:39 PM
I have a cutter, torch and plenty of solder
Czizzi,
Where are you when I need you

Old 10-01-14, 05:03 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Where are you when I need you
At your call, sir with torch ready! Great Scott

Name:  goggles.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  5.5 KB

Old 10-01-14, 10:04 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
For those of the non-solder camp, SharkBite has a fitting that is basically a slip coupling with a angle stop on it.

1/2"X1/4" ICEMAKER KIT by Cash Acme - 23520LF - More Ice chests and coolers at doitbest.com

Whether you're a SharkBite fan or not, definitely better than a saddle valve!