Shower diverter leak repair

Old 10-03-14, 09:22 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower diverter leak repair

I have a leak at the solder joint on the diverter at the outlet going to the shower head. My question is do I need to turn off the water and drain all the lines there before I can solder? I can think of reasons for and against draining the water....

Also: does anyone know why the manufacturer recommends using copper to the shower head and not the pex?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-14, 01:19 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
If water is in the line, the solder will not melt, no matter how much heat you apply. The lines need to be drained. Copper is for rigidity so that the shower head does not flex or move if pulled on.

Old 10-03-14, 01:24 PM
C
It is only the line from the diverter to the shower head that requires solder. The hot and cold supply lines are already there and are fine. I am thinking technically, I could leave the water on and solder the shower head run?? Just not sure if I should.

Old 10-03-14, 04:46 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
The shower arm from the diverter ALWAYS has standing water in it. Gravity holds it in place with the valve shut, it has no where to go. You also run the risk of damage to the cartridge within the valve rough in if you try to heat it up with everything in place. Turning off the water and draining the shower pipes should be an easy thing. Again, if water is in the pipe, the solder will not flow.

Old 10-03-14, 04:49 PM
C
perfect - thanks for the clarification