How to clog/obstruct a pipe


Old 10-04-14, 07:49 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Thailand
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to clog/obstruct a pipe

You read well I'd like to obstruct a water pipe (please see the photo)
The problem is that there is a leak somewhere between the floors or maybe on the second floor, in the wall. Pipes are PVC, 18mm diameter. I use a water pump from Mitsubishi EP-205q3

Two reasons I want to do this:
1. it is hard to find a good skilled plumber where I live
2. I don't really need the tap where the leaking pipe leads to.

Due to the position of the pipe, my first choice would be to drill a hole in the pipe, just above the T, and to inject some kind of cement/adhesive to block the water from going up. Question is: what can I use? Something that can be sprayed inside, like a polyurethane spray... just an example. What do you suggest?

Second choice would be to lose one day and try to cut the pipe and then glue a cap. That I should be able to do but it will be more difficult.

Any other suggestions are welcome
Thank you.
Name:  P_20141005_091942.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  33.6 KB
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-14, 07:57 PM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 18,139
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Welcome to the forums........

IMO from being a US based plumber is to fit a cap period....................

I know of no injectibles that will work as you describe............
Old 10-05-14, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 22,728
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
I might even go a step further. Instead of capping the line I would install a 1/4 turn ball valve. This would allow you to turn off the leaking line but give you the option of turning it back on if it's ever needed again.
Old 10-05-14, 07:37 AM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 10,503
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I'm not a plumber, just pretend to be one at home.
But, if I'm looking at this right, pipe comes into a "T" from the right. Out of bottom of "T" then to the left. The left side of the "T" then feeds the line going up through the floor. With the limited space above, why not bypass that "T" by connecting the right pipe over to the left pipe and then cap the two open ends from the "T".

Old 10-05-14, 08:54 AM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,947
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would not trust anything you put in inject into the pipe to be safe for drinking water. The only option to do this would be to freeze the pipe, but that is meant for short periods of time to make repairs.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: