Installation of Whole house water filter

Old 10-06-14, 07:06 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installation of Whole house water filter

Hello. I'm Nathan and I am looking at doing my own installation of a whole house water filter system (the Pelican PC1000). I was going to post this in the water softener section, but my question seems to be more appropriate here, as it is the actual plumbing I have a question about.

If all pipes were visible, the installation would be simple. You would cut the main, run it to the system, and then back to the main on the opposite side of the cut. I cannot see the pipes in the wall or under my slab, etc. so therein lies my problem.

I have had a couple explanations for installing this system. One is easier, though my pipes could potentially freeze. One is nicer, but didn't make sense.

Method #1: Cut the main by the bypass in the ground, run it into my garage wall (through the brick), through the system, then back out to the ground. Make sure the pipes are wrapped in insulation. Improper insulation would result in potential for freezing lines.

Method #2: Find where main comes out of the ground by water heater, tie into it, run through system, tie back in to main.

The problem I find with Method 2 is this: If the main is run through slab, why would the entire main come up out of the ground just to feed the water heater? Wouldn't a line just tie into the main (in or under the slab), as the main would most likely be running through the ground to the middle of the house to feed the kitchen and other side of the house to feed the bathrooms there?

I have attached an image of what I know of the piping and general layout. I do not want to tear apart a wall and out the water heater (or pay someone else to) only to find the water main would have no reason to completely come out of the ground. I also do not want to pay someone when I am not sure which method is more ideal (I assume method #2 if the piping would even do that).

Thank you for your time.
Nathan

Name:  Basic Layout.jpg
Views: 3170
Size:  22.0 KB
http://www.pelicanwater.com/pdf/pc600_1000.pdf

Old 10-06-14, 07:18 AM
T
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Following the cold input to your hot water heater will locate the pipe you need to splice into. If that comes out of your garage floor, then you need to break up the floor to see the main line.

Old 10-06-14, 07:38 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response Tomf63.

So to clarify, you believe the main should go where the water heater is, and then branch off to the rest of the house (whether above ground or in the slab is to be determined). If that is the case, it would be an ideal location to tie in to, though I am not sure about the feasibility of breaking up the slab in that location (well... not by me anyhow).

Old 10-07-14, 11:20 AM
Z
Received 43 Votes on 42 Posts
Hi Leptoid Ė

Iím no plumber, just a newbie. Your problem got me thinking about how one would route plumbing lines with a slab, especially the main water supply. Very interesting.

It seemed to me that you would expect the main water line to come out of the slab and then be routed through the walls in the house. At least that seemed the most flexible to me (but that doesnít count for much. lol)

Lo and behold I found this paragraph below, from the link below, written by a contactor (I think, lol). I donít know whether that is correct, but it sure sounds good. Maybe the plumbing expert here will weigh in.

I guess your cold pipe to the water heater comes out of the wall and you canít see through walls.lol

But doesnít it seem like that would most likely be the main running in the wall by the water heater, with a tee branching to the water heater?

Can you relocate plumbing drain pipes in a concrete slab? | Ask the Contractor

...In most cases, a home constructed on a concrete slab has the main water line entering from the exterior the below the slab and then it comes up in a utility or laundry room. The supply lines for the rest of the house are then located in the walls and ceilings. That means that you shouldn't have to do any under-slab work on supply lines while moving the laundry and shower...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: