AMR devices

Old 10-29-14, 09:52 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
AMR devices

Hi All, looking for someone with knowledge on the AMR for water, my question would be what happens when they fail? Our water usage seems high compared to others in my area, water dept. says the meter is fine.
Thanks
Geo

Old 10-29-14, 03:13 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Typically, the meter itself is somewhat separate from the automatic meter reading apparatus. Your meter likely still has a number dial that's internally connected to a wheel measuring water flow like any other meter. Your meter (and most others these days) also have some kind of electronic device/antenna to allow the company to read it easier from outside).

You can confirm your monthly meter reading is accurate by keeping track of the number dial on the meter. This at least confirms the reading matches the meter.

Also, some water companies still read every other month and estimate the non-read months. These estimates can get pretty far off depending on your usage patters and their estimations. So be sure your bills are correct.

As far as I know, it's rare for meters to be 'wrong', and in the rare case they are, they typically under-meter. That said, have you checked for any leaks in the house? Dripping faucets, leaky toilet bowls. Leave everything off for an hour or two or more in the house, check the meter before and after - and confirm it hasn't moved. Where is your meter? In the house or at the road? Is your plumbing in a slab or crawlspace/basement?

Hope this helps!
-Mike

Old 10-30-14, 03:51 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It seems there are new water meters that do not have a dial on them. My in-laws have this on their house. They are unable to read the meter themselves.

Old 10-30-14, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
It's pretty hard to gauge water usage with neighbors as you aren't comparing oranges to oranges. Laundry, dish washer, toilets, showers, outside watering. etc. is different for every user.

Old 10-31-14, 10:26 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
It seems there are new water meters that do not have a dial on them
Really? I find it hard to believe that they would make a meter that isn't manually readable/verifiable.

I mean... I guess I shouldn't find it too surprising, but it seems like it would be hard for the water company too if something goes awry with the meter.

Old 10-31-14, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I too find it difficult to believe that there wouldn't be some sort of manual indication. They replaced my electrical meter for remote read not long ago, but it still has a readout. Better than someone with high power binocs staring in my backyard.

Old 10-31-14, 06:00 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm with you guys, but I'm pretty sure this is what he told me. He had a beef about his water usage and couldn't verify what the meter was reporting. Here is an example of a meter without indication on it: Long-life Pulse Output Water Meters For Remote Rate Indication and Totalization I know it is French, but I am sure they offer something like that in the US.

Old 11-03-14, 10:20 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
That's an interesting link drooplug. The meter itself says it doesn't do any totalization, only provides the flow rate. So in that case, there's another device somewhere that actually tracks usage.

So maybe to the OP, might the read-out be outside? In my old house, there was a small black box outside where they did the reading. In my case, it was just a little RF interface, but maybe in your case the read-out (and antenna and such) might be separate from the meter?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: