Pipe always leaking

Old 11-01-14, 01:04 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pipe always leaking

Hi,

I have this pipe leading to the exterior of the house that is always constantly dripping. With winter coming, I've realized that this may become as issue if the temperature gets low enough, not to mention all the wasted water!

I have no experience with plumbing, so I was hoping to get advice here as to what I can do regarding the leak, and perhaps some insight as to what exactly is going on with this plumbing configuration.

The upper pipe heading towards the exterior is the hose spigot. The lower one is the one that is constantly leaking. I think the piece with the blue thing is a pressure release valve?

So I guess these are the questions I would like answered
1. Why do I need a pressure release valve (if that's what it is here) when I have one earlier in the system.
2. Why does the pressure release valve have a pipe to the exterior?
3. What should I do? The inspector (when I purchased the house a few months back) mentioned I can cut the lower pipe and just cap it off. Is this accurate?

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/oiCszwq,7GyOXUY#0
http://imgur.com/oiCszwq,7GyOXUY#1

Old 11-01-14, 07:13 PM
W
Is it leaking above the pressure release valve ? Or down stream of the PRV ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 11-01-14, 07:17 PM
U
Oops, I forgot to specify. It is leaking downstream. It is the "bottom pipe" in both photos

Old 11-01-14, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't know why you have a pressure relief valve in your house but there must be a good reason. I would check with the neighbors and see if they have one. Maybe there is an occasional high city water pressure issue.

It is the top pipe... to the outside faucet that is leaking. The solder quality in the plumbing there looks questionable.

Name:  hrv.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  25.6 KB

Old 11-01-14, 07:35 PM
U
Ah, the photo does seem to make it look that way. Be assured that the top is not leaking. The bottom pipe is very visibly leaking to the exterior and can be seen every few seconds. And you're right, the solder quality doesn't look too great. I will consider having those re-done at some point, but for now, I'm more concerned about the constant dripping from the bottom pipe.

Thanks!

Old 11-01-14, 09:02 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Undue the union and replace or plug where the prv sits.

Old 11-02-14, 12:32 AM
W
Looks like you also have a galvanized steel / iron coupling with copper screwed into it . That will corrode and leak , eventually .

I have found 3 of those in our house & they all 3 were leaking .

The down stream pipe from the PRV should not have any water in it . Under normal circumstances .

If I understood you correctly ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 11-02-14, 01:46 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
That appears to be a combination temperature and pressure safety valve as would be used on a water heater. The T&P valve has a temperature sensing stem that inserts into the heater (or pipe in this instance) to actuate the valve in over temperature situations. It is NOT the proper valve for this situation but should have been a pressure only safety valve.

Pressure only safety valves have been installed in the past to allow for a release of excess pressure caused by thermal expansion, from heating a tank full of water from cold to operating temperature. The problem is that after a number of releases the valve often does not properly re-seat and then leaks. Continued leaking erodes the sealing service and over time the problem simply gets worse. The modern method is to install a diaphragm expansion tank in place of the safety valve. The expansion tank has an internal bladder that is pressurized to the same as the incoming water pressure prior to being connected to the piping system. Increases in pressure (from the thermal expansion) then merely compress the air in the bladder rather than developing into dangerously high pressure that can damage the entire plumbing system.

Old 11-02-14, 02:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Just trying to pin point leak, Is the leak below first T and before PRV ? If that is the case to fix will have to shut off water to line and, drain pipe and resolder the fitting. I would have all the fittings resoldered.

Old 11-02-14, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The T&P valve has no place there. It has obviously has failed since it is leaking outside the house, and not at any of the soldered joints inside. It needs to be replaced with a pure pressure release valve vented to the atmosphere. A pressure tank on the water heater cold side would most likely serve the same purpose and will eliminate most of the extraneous piping you have below the faucet exit.

Old 11-02-14, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Relooked at pictures and see drip at discharge. Still will have to drain pipe to replace valve, Good time to clean up the nasty solder joints.

Old 11-02-14, 07:09 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
That soldering job looks exactly like the one my neighbor did years ago before we knew what flux was for.

Old 11-02-14, 12:06 PM
U
It seems the general consensus (besides the bad soldering) is a bad temperature and pressure valve. I will take your advice and replace the valve with just a pressure valve. One thing I am wondering though. How pertinent is it to release to the exterior of the home? Maybe I'm overreacting. How worried should I be about that line freezing?

Old 11-02-14, 12:40 PM
F
How pertinent is it to release to the exterior of the home?
Depends upon your LOCAL code. In my area relief valves are required to be directed outside the building to a safe place for discharge. Since there is no water past the valve there is no chance for freezing as long as the piping is installed to allow it to drain as is required. That does not mean that a slight drip would not freeze at the outer end, eventually closing off the entire pipe.

IF your local code allows and if you don't mind the floor in the area of the discharge getting wet then you can not use the outside discharge.

Old 11-02-14, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I am questioning the use of the valve to begin with. Is it absolutely necessary? Would not fitting a bladder type expansion tank work, and not need the exit? Just thinking and wondering. Yeah, code will dictate what you have to use.

Old 11-04-14, 07:18 PM
F
I agree, Chandler and I stated as much in post #8.

Old 11-04-14, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
PRV may be because they are on a well.. Common... Usually a 100 psi model...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: