Does every room with plumbing need its own vent pipe?

Old 11-07-14, 09:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does every room with plumbing need its own vent pipe?

Does every room containing plumbing need to have its own vent pipe to the roof or is just one one pipe for the house and all are connected to that one main vent stack? (like if you have multiple bathrooms and laundry room etc..)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-14, 11:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Yes and no. Yes, every fixture needs it's own vent. No, each vent does not need to go independently through the roof. They can be combined so you only have one or two vent stacks through the roof. I have quite a cluster of vent piping in my attic bringing all the vents together so I only have one pipe going through the roof on the back side of the house where it's not visible.

Old 11-07-14, 11:34 AM
P
That's what I thought. We are adding a bathroom to the garage and the plumber said since the house already had one main vent stack there was no need to add a new vent or connect the new bathroom to an existing vent (which i thought was weird).

You said you have a lot of vent piping in your attic, so its ok for these vent pipes to travel around with multiple elbows/corners as long as they exit the roof? I thought they had to go straight up with minimal turns, if so this makes connecting the new bathroom to the main vent easy

Old 11-07-14, 03:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
Your new bathroom drain lines will definitely need venting. Is this plumber licensed and getting a permit for the work. Even if he says going without a permit and following code will be "ok" and save you money you really should not. Proper venting has a lot to do with making things drain properly.

Vents are generally only carrying air so bends are not a big issue. Once up in the attic they should all have proper slope/fall so they don't collect water but they can be run a good distance without problem.

If you don't have clean out fittings in your drain piping then the roof vent's is a next best access if there is a clog. In that situation a vent for each bathroom and vent lines that run straight up through the roof is a benefit. But no plumber is going to drag a power auger up on the roof to clear a drain so I don't considered it much of an option. Someone may go up on the roof with a manual drain cleaning rod but that's about it.

Old 11-07-14, 06:11 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 104 Posts
Reiterating what Pilot Dane stated, unless your new fixtures are within about 5-6 feet of the main stack, they are going to need their own vent. It's typically easier to vent up through the roof, but sometimes it makes sense to back-vent (connect to existing vents).

Similarly, some areas allow AAVs (Studor vents), but it's always best to go up through the roof whenever possible.

If your plumber says you don't need vents, find another plumber!

Old 11-08-14, 07:32 PM
P
Thanks guys, got a new plumber and he said it needs its on vent, luckily the new bathroom will be next to the laundry room and when we looked at the pipes for the washing machine it had its own 2" vent stack to the roof so we can tap into it.. So now just need to figure out a way to raise the floor to have room for the bathroom drains ( but that's another topic )

You guys were a great help, saved me from using a crappy plumber!