Turning Off Outside Water Faucets for Winter

Old 11-08-14, 06:58 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turning Off Outside Water Faucets for Winter

Hello-

New homeowner here! I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the outside water for the winter and drain the pipes. The videos online demonstrate that you would shut off the inside valve and then drain the valve. However, my pipe does not seem to have a drain connected to the valve. Please see the picture attached.

I don't think I have frost free. At least, the spigot is not frost free.

Also, there are two spigots on either side of the home. I have a finished basement with drop ceiling and cant seem to find where the other valve is. Is the a chance the both spigots would use the same valve to turn the water on/off?

The home was built in 2009 if that helps.

Thanks,

Ben

Attached Images  
Old 11-08-14, 07:13 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 181 Votes on 162 Posts
Though the shutoff should have a drain screw, I don't think it's a huge deal if it doesn't. You'll want to turn off the water and open the spigot outside. Opening the spigot will allow some of the water to drain out, and allow some expansion if some of the remaining water does freeze.

It's very unlikely that one shutoff controls both spigots. Is the kitchen nearby? It's sometimes hidden under the kitchen sink.

Old 11-08-14, 10:32 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Very easy to determine if the one inside shutoff controls both outside faucets, turn off the inside valve and then open the outside faucets. If the water just dribbles from each then the inside valve controls both. I only one outside faucet is shut off then you know that the one that still flows full force is not controlled by the inside valve you found.

Once you get the water shut off from the inside leave the outside faucets open until you put them back in service in the spring.

Old 11-08-14, 02:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
And make sure you don't leave any hoses connected to the spigots outside. Leave the spigots open and with nothing connected so they can drain like Furd mentioned.

Old 11-08-14, 06:08 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With the home I moved into a couple years ago there is a nut to drain the pipe inside which is rusted shut and doesn't appear to ever have been moved. Before the polar vortex with all the record temps hit last year I simply removed the hose, shut off the inside valve, and left the spigot open to let what was in there drain. They should be sloped so enough of the water should evacuate to prevent freezing just by doing that. It is when the pipe is so full of water that it has nowhere to expand to when it becomes ice that it becomes a problem.

Old 11-08-14, 06:37 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Excellent point, Pilot, thanks for catching it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: