Leaking cast iron pipe in basement

Old 11-10-14, 08:15 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leaking cast iron pipe in basement

Hi

I'm going to get a plumber to look at this but I want to educate myself on the issue. You can see photos at http://imgur.com/a/TUfDG which show the problem. I believe this section of cast iron waste pipe comes from the bathroom in the master bedroom because of the location near the front of the house. The house is 67 years old.

1. How bad is this? Stopping use of the master bathroom seems like the first step. Do I need to get someone in to look at this right now or could it wait up to a month if I have business trips that make arranging this difficult?
2. Can this be typically be replaced without ripping up the basement floor? At what point is it reasonable to start doing that, if at all? The finished part of the basement has a 60's style refrigerator and ice-maker. Those as the appliances you see the back of in my link above.
3. What are the reasonable options for replacing this? What would a good plumber suggest versus a not so good one?
4. What can I do to make this easier for the plumber? I've already moved everything out of the unfinished part of the basement.

Thanks in advance.

-Brian

Old 11-10-14, 05:11 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A section of the pipe can be cut out & replaced with PVC & rubber couplings. Sometimes the pipe can be cut with a sawsaall & a carbide blade. Other times a snap tool is needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: