Water Arrestor Install Help Needed

Old 11-11-14, 04:48 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Arrestor Install Help Needed

I'm fairly handy, but am always hesitant in playing with water and plumbing, afraid of a screw up and then the need for an emergency repair.

I am getting some pretty bad water hammer after having some a new washing machine installed. I tried some of the screw-on arrestors to the valve, but it hasn't made any real difference.

I just bought what I think are better arrestors here, the Sharkbite 22632LF
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8HV518/...332200_TE_item

But I'm of course afraid to cut into a pipe and then run into problems. And I need to install the arrestors into the middle section of a pipe.

I can't seem to figure out if these Sharbite Arrestors are the 'slip on' type where I an add to one side more than the 1" to then get the other side on as well. Or if need to also get a 'slip end' fitting and cut out a small section of pipe.

I may just call a local plumber, but I prefer to do things myself.

Side note is that I may need a water regulator as well. But will call the town here to try and learn what my PSI is. I do get some hammer even from toilets and faucets as well. But not like the washing machine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
PT

Old 11-11-14, 07:00 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If there is play in the pipe where it needs to be installed, the job will be easy. They are slip-on connectors. Slip & twist at the same time. You will hear & feel them lock on to the pipe.

Old 11-12-14, 07:54 AM
P
Thanks for quick reply.

I'm going to likely buy a small piece of pipe to experiment with before installing, but just worried of screwing up.

But I should not need to really take out any section of the pipe I think/hope? Just one cut on the pipe, slip the arrester in far enough to then slide back over the other side? Since it is/should a be 'slip end' i should be able to push it on the pipe past 1", etc to then line up slide back over the over end.

I hope to install it this weekend. I only bought one for now and will install on the cold side. And then if no issues, pick up another for the hot line.

Old 11-12-14, 09:18 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Right, as long as there is some play in the pipe, just cut it. Don't use a test piece unless you have the removal tool.

Old 11-12-14, 09:28 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
and here is what the removal tool looks like, and they come in different sizes

SharkBite 1/2 in. Disconnect Clip-U710A at The Home Depot

Old 11-12-14, 08:18 PM
P
Yes, I have the removal tool. But it appears the hammer arrestors are not the slip-end type as I can add/test with a piece of pipe to the 1 side, but it will lock in place is not able to slide further in to then line up and slide back over the side.

These are smaller, 1/2 inch, but I'm reading that this style with the slip tee is easier to slide over the one side further, to then align the pipe and slide back over the side and lock both in place?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QB5C2O/...332200_TE_item

Last edited by ptmuldoon; 11-12-14 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-13-14, 07:10 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Just do it. I doubt that you'll have any problems.

Old 11-13-14, 09:30 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
hi pt -

Here is a nice video that shows the installation of that slip tee you refer to. But as Pulpo says you probably would be OK installing the water arrestor you've already bought.

I think you are concerned with alignment problems, but you really only need a little flexibility in your pipes to be able to push the Sharkbite onto one pipe end and then spread the pipes a little to push the other pipe end into the Sharkbite.

SharkBite Service Slip Tee - Appliance Water Supply - YouTube

Forgot your original question (lol - but I'm in my 70's, excuse lol). I don't think that water arrestor is the slip type. Looks like just a regular Sharkbite push fit to me. In other words you push the pipe into the fitting and then you don't have any back and forth play, but you can swivel them which is nice.

Old 11-13-14, 11:41 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Side note is that I may need a water regulator as well. But will call the town here to try and learn what my PSI is.
Before you go cutting the pipe, I would check out your pressure first. If you have too-high pressure, it's likely making the water hammer worse AND possibly causing other issues with your plumbing system.

Get an inexpensive pressure gauge and check it out. Your pressure should be between 50-70psi, but definitely no more than 80psi. Do you know if you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV), likely installed where the water line comes into the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: