Toilet gurgles and bloops when washing machine drains - should I worry?

Old 11-12-14, 07:47 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet gurgles and bloops when washing machine drains - should I worry?

I'm wondering if we have plumbing problem that has persisted since our home was built. The half bath toilet gurgles and makes 'gloop-gloop-gloop' noises when the washing machine drains… but not always. The washing machine is situated in the laundry room right next to the half bath.

Connected, possibly, is the fact that we also don't have the most enthusiastic flushing toilets in our house… well, the upgraded Kohler in the basement guest bathroom does great, but the rest (whatever basic toilet the builder put in) have a tendency to clog or flush slowly… and it is when this happens elsewhere in the house that I notice the glooping in the half bath toilet when the washing machine drains (maybe...).

I've been on a bit of a plumbing mission to address this annoyance since my son has managed to block up the kids' bathroom toilet AND the half bath toilet this week (monstrous productions… don't ask), which I mostly freed up today with an auger after the plunger did nothing. BUT all toilets are flushing slowly and being a bit temperamental still.

So, we seem to have a blockage problem of some sort, either in the drains or the vents or both… any thoughts and guidance gratefully accepted!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-14, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 73 Posts
Not a plumber, but been there. Sounds like your main pipe needs to be cleared out with a long snake and your vent may be clogged, too. Could be stuff clogged up somewhere and could be roots too, if you have a large tree out front. Unless you have the right equipment, it's really best to get a plumber to come out and do it for you.
The pros should be along with better advice.

Old 11-13-14, 08:27 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your response Shadeladie.
The house is only about 5 years old with no big trees close by so I don't think it could be roots infiltrating the pipes. I do have a 6-yr old tho who does, errm, 'hold things in' and then lets it all out every few days in eye-watering style which seems to be the main problem recently. I have bought some Drano Max Build-Up Remover to hopefully help breakdown any organic matter that might be built up in there somewhere.
I'll update with my progress as I go, and hopefully some more insights will be shared.
Thanks again!