Utility sink rough in help

Old 11-18-14, 07:35 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Utility sink rough in help

Hello, I want to install a new utility sink in my basement. It seems this unfinished wall is a good spot. It back to a bathroom shower. Can I cut into these 3/8" pipes that feed the shower for my supply lines? If I "T" into them, should I come out of them with a 3/8" pipe or move up to 1/2" to feed the sink? How far off the ground should I put the T? How far away from the T should I put the shut off valve? Here is a picture of what I have.
Name:  369-6967_IMG.jpg
Views: 4224
Size:  32.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-14, 07:38 AM
H
More

I also need help with the waste. Here are nearby waste pipes. The horizontal pipe comes from the bathroom sink. The vertical one goes up to the main floor. Is it a vent? Can I just cut the vertical pipe and install a T pipe for the utility sink waste? Should the T be at 14"? I think I read that is the correct height for a utility sink waste.
Name:  369-6968_IMG.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  23.9 KB

Old 11-18-14, 03:46 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The pipes that I see between the studs look like 1/2" not 3/8. They can be used for supply, to the sink. Which vertical pipe do you want to cut for the waste, the same pipe that drains the bathroom sink? You can't use the vent line, if that's what the other one is.

Old 11-18-14, 04:22 PM
H
My bad, you are correct, the ones between the studs are 1/2". So I can use those for supply, great. How far off the ground should I put the "T"? And how far out from the wall should I come out before putting the shut offs?

I'd like to use the small vertical pipe for the waste, I believe it is 2 1/2 PVC. Can I cut into that for the waste?

Old 11-18-14, 05:03 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
AFAIK, you can use that small vertical pipe for the waste. The height depends on the sink itself. I don't think that there is a set distance from the riser to the shut off valves. Just leave yourself enough room to work.

Old 11-18-14, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I'd like to use the small vertical pipe for the waste, I believe it is 2 1/2 PVC. Can I cut into that for the waste?
Thats probably the vent for that bath group. If you tie into it for the utility sink then you will need to vent either the bath sink or utility sink arm and tie back in 3 ft above the flood plane of whatever sink. Depending on where you cut the tee...

If you dont revent then its a wet vent and thats not to code.......

Take a pic from farther away and I can draw you something...

Whater lines are fine...

22" height I believe for water. 18" for waste..

Whats height of sink tee now off floor?

Old 11-19-14, 01:43 PM
H
Thanks for your help so far guys. Attached is a picture from further away showing all pipes. Mike please draw me something please, that would be most helpful. I don't follow how something can tie back in 3 feet above. The bathroom sink waste goes into the vent 16 1/2" off of the floor. Name:  369-6969_IMG.jpg
Views: 3345
Size:  27.9 KB

Old 11-19-14, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Better yet just get a double fixture fitting,,, Cut that Y out and replace..

Make sure its a double fixture fitting and not a double sanitary tee,,,

Double fixture. Has higher bend or weir point...

Do not use double san tee..

Old 11-20-14, 07:59 AM
H
Great picture and explanation Mike and sounds pretty straightforward. Thanks for your help. Just to be sure, the double fixture fitting will meet code, correct? I am in Missouri if that matters.

Old 11-20-14, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Just to be sure, the double fixture fitting will meet code, correct?
Yes... and if you don't do it that way then you will need to add a vent arm as I stated...

If your not going to glue is all back togther because lack of movement in the vent line, then make sure you use no hub couplings only...

Old 11-20-14, 03:58 PM
H
Yikes! I hadn't thought about not being able to move the vent line to get the double fixture fitting in! I tried searching for no hub coupling but found minimal info. Do they make a double fixture fitting that you can use a no hub coupling on each end, or would I need to glue a short piece of pipe into the top and bottom, then attach a no hub couple to the top and bottom of the pieces I glue in to attach it to the vent line? Kind of like this picture?
Name:  nohub.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  5.4 KB

Old 11-20-14, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
or would I need to glue a short piece of pipe into the top and bottom, then attach a no hub couple to the top and bottom of the pieces
Yes glue a short piece on each end. Install the bands, then the rubber piece. You then roll the rubber back like a bananna on each couplimg. Insert Double fixture fitting and roll both couplings back onto the pipe..

hard to explain somewhat...

2" no hub??? Thousands of hits pop up on a search...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42157[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 11-20-14, 04:53 PM
H
Your explanation of the banana makes perfect sense. I found plenty of pics of no hub couples when I did the search. But was looking for examples of them installed and how to install them. I think I get it now. Thanks again.

Why did you say to use no hub couplings only? Is there another way that is not as good for some reason?

Old 11-20-14, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator
Ho hubs are to code. Others like non banded ferncos are not.. This guy shows the ferncos but as a pro does not use them..

Video for reference only...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCB_9TwWLCQ

Old 11-20-14, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Rolled back looks like this... Again make sure to put the metal band on first...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42160[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 11-20-14, 05:37 PM
H
Great pics and video, thanks. I guess I will need 3 of these no hub couplers. One for above the double fixture fitting, one for below the double fixture fitting, and one for where the existing bathroom fixture comes into the left side. Does that seem correct?

Old 11-20-14, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Yes.......................

Old 11-22-14, 12:22 PM
H
Great, thanks so much Mike and to the other person who helped at the start of the thread.

Old 11-22-14, 01:49 PM
H
Mike, I was just wondering if it is okay to use a slip coupling instead of a no hub coupling? Not sure why you use one over the other or if the slip coupling is code.

Old 11-22-14, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Whats a slip coupling?

No.. A no hub as we discussed is code...

Of course its your house so you install whatever you want...

Old 11-22-14, 06:37 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 104 Posts
I assume you mean a PVC repair coupling (slip coupling). You can use a repair coupling instead of the no-hub couplings. Sometimes they are a bit of a pain to ensure the cement doesn't set up too quickly, but you can definitely use them. Be sure to mark the pipe so it's reasonably centered.

Old 11-23-14, 05:29 PM
H
Yes, a repair coupling is what I meant. There is one on my drain pipe in post #7. I can see that they may be hard to work with due to the cement drying quickly. The no hubs would be easier for a rookie like me. Thanks again everyone!

Old 11-25-14, 12:17 PM
H
Sorry, a few more questions:

1. When I install the supply lines, will I need "water hammer" piping?

2. When I install the drain, should I run it around to where the back of the sink will be, and come out under where the supply lines are? If so, do I need to worry about pitch/slope?

Old 11-25-14, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
1. When I install the supply lines, will I need "water hammer" piping?
No................

When I install the drain, should I run it around to where the back of the sink will be, and come out under where the supply lines are? If so, do I need to worry about pitch/slope?
yes to the back of the sink. height should be fine. Pitch 1/8" per ft...1/4" per ft...whatever gets you there...

Old 11-25-14, 06:59 PM
H
Great, thanks Mike...............................................................

Old 01-15-15, 06:30 AM
H
Hi guys, I am still working on this. I heard from someone else that if I run the drain pipe to the back of where my sink will be then I will have too many turns in my drain pipe. Apparently you are only allowed a certain number of turns adding up to so many degrees. Is that an issue for cleaning it out only, or a venting issue? If only an issue for cleaning it out, then I think I will take my chances with it.

Old 01-15-15, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
I heard from someone else that if I run the drain pipe to the back of where my sink will be then I will have too many turns in my drain pipe. Apparently you are only allowed a certain number of turns adding up to so many degrees.

Nonsense...

Old 01-15-15, 05:16 PM
H
Cool, thanks Mike.......................