Washing machine drain overflowing

Old 03-22-01, 05:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My washing machine drain overflows. I have to cut it off and let it drain out, then cut it back on... What can I use to clear out the drain or will I have to call a plumber???

Old 03-22-01, 06:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You need to have the line cleaned out with a machine, these you can rent at a rental yard, but it might cost just the same to have a plumber come out to clean the line for you.

Old 03-23-01, 05:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you for taking the time to advise me. Really appreciate the help.

Old 03-24-01, 09:56 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
washing machine drain overflowing

Bobbi;
Where does the machine drain to? Do you have a hose to a slop sink or a direct connetion to a drain? If a sink, check if the drain has a strainer in it. Some older sinks had a small copper strainer over the drain and some right inside on the cross piece. (At least one that I had did!). Over time these will clog with lint and slow the drain. You can also follow the line and see if there are any elbow traps. These too will fill with lint and back up. Simple to open the drain and remove the trapped lint. I had a problem like this and used a bent piece of hanger and was amazed at the amount of lint that came out. Drain now runs perfectly.
When corrected, install a strainer over drain hole and clean periodically.

Old 03-24-01, 10:10 AM
Visiting Guest
My drain hose from the washing machine fits down in a pipe drain which is in the wall behind the machine. I will try the clothes hanger. The pipe has an elbow which is difficult to get anything to navigate in. I didnt want to have to remove any of the paneling to get to the pipe but...

The drain is not completely stopped up just runs too slow to run a load of clothes without stopping and starting it.

thanks for your help

Old 03-24-01, 02:19 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
washing machine drain

Bobbi:
Go to a hardware store or any chain store ( H.D. has them I know)and buy a plumbing snake. They are very reasonable. Buy the type that retracts into a small drum with a pistol grip and a cranking handle. They are usually in lengths of 10 to 15 feet. Use that if you can't get to the elbow. The hanger is only good if you can access the elbow drain plug. Remove the hose and put the snake head in and crank the handle while feeding out the wire. The wire is flexible and will follow the path of the line. Good luck.

Old 03-24-01, 02:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi Bobbi- I had the same trouble a couple of weeks ago..This is what you need to do. If the sanke doesn't work (it didn't in my case) What I did was go to my basement..I hope you have one...Find the line that my darin pipes drain to and used a "bladder" to flush. Go to HD to the plumbing dept. You attach this rubber blub to the end of your water hose. Slide the rubber bulb thru the pipes until it meets some resistance. Then turn on you water from you hose. What happens is the bulb expands in you pipe and causes water to soot out of it at high pressure...basically flushing your pipes!

Old 03-24-01, 05:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I will be back in business after this.

Glad I found this site!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: