Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Help/advice needed on a few questions about replacing main water shut off valve?

Help/advice needed on a few questions about replacing main water shut off valve?

Old 12-12-14, 07:22 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've got a pretty good leak at the main shut off valve right before the house and had to turn it off, which stopped it luckily. So I have a few questions now...

Is it ok to leave multiple faucets open for lengthy periods of time with main water shut off? I've heard it's the right way. I've heard you shouldn't do it. I've heard only open one faucet. I know to let water in gradually regardless, but is it ok or does it allow more air to get in the pipes? I've killed power to the water heater already btw.

If I have the tool, is it ok for me to shut the water off at the meter to do the job or do I have wait for the city to turn it off and wait to turn it back on?

I read that ball valves are superior to the gate valve that's on there now. My valves are buried in soil to just below the handles or the top of the packing nut area. Gate valves are much taller above the inlet/outlet than stemless ball valves, so would that make the area more susceptible to freezing without much soil over the valve/pipes if I put in ball valves?

Lastly, Teflon tape or pipe dope or the white Teflon paste on the new work?

Any other quick tips or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-12-14, 08:40 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ball valves are better than gate valves. The idea of not having all the valves opened would be to avoid all the pressure from returning in one shot, when the main is reopened. At least, that's what I've heard.

Old 12-12-14, 07:04 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I agree with Pulpo, as long as you're replacing the valve, go for a ball valve. I would use a sprinkler box to keep the valve easily accessible, maybe filled with fiberglass insulation to help with low temperatures.

I don't know about the whole leaving one faucet open versus multiple. I've never heard that, and frankly, I wouldn't worry much about it. You did the right thing with shutting off the water heater.

When I use threaded valves, I use 2-3 wraps of teflon tape along with a little bit of paste. Probably overkill, but makes a nice reliable connection.

As for the main shutoff, if you have the key, you can do it yourself, but don't force it. You don't want to break it - if it's difficult to turn, call the water department. If they break it, they'll likely replace it. If you break it, you may be on-tap to replace it.

-Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: