Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Garbage disposal gurgles once after draining + one other sink in house as well

Old 12-20-14, 07:17 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, question here.

I have a double sink in my kitchen. The side with the garbage disposal will gurgle when it is done draining, once. The other side, which has a straight shot to the p-trap, also gurgles once, but usually not as loudly. The dishwasher drains into the garbage disposal side, so that does the same thing.

Just after the P-Trap under the sink there is a Studor Vent. I had one of those cheap black vent caps on it, but that actually made the water drain slower in addition to the gurgling.

I also have one other sink in the house that does the once-drained gurgle. But it is on the second floor, attached to another piece of pipe under the house that hits long before the sink split. And get this: the other sink in that bathroom never gurgles. Neither have Vent.

There is a Y connector where two large pipes meet under the house. Straight back is that bathroom pipe, to the right is the kitchen sink pipe. That connector has clogged twice in the past 2 year and I can easily clear it with an auger, but I am wondering if an airflow issue is making solids sit there or something.

Should I just get a plumber out here to check the main vent stack to the house? it's 2 stories up and I have a heights issue, so I can't really get up there to check it/clear it if it is obstructed.

Or does this even sound like a vent issue? Nothing in the house makes another fixture gurgle. For instance, a toilet or tub doesn't make a sink gurgle. Maybe I am just being too picky about pipe sounds?

Sorry for the rambling, and thanks for any help!

Old 12-23-14, 02:34 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Gurgling 90% of the time is due to a clogged drain. Especially considering you've already cleaned it out a few times, it probably means there's still a clog. You probably broke a small hole through the clog to help it drain a bit, but the main part of the clog is likely still there. With grease clogs, the standard snake just pokes a pencil-sized hole. You really need to get a snake with a larger head, or in my opinion, call in a pro with a larger snake to do it for you or if you're couragous, rent a powered snake for a few hours.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: