Basement Bathroom Rough In

Old 01-11-15, 08:24 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Bathroom Rough In

First of all thanks in advance for any input you guys may provide. My house was built in the mid 70's and in the basement the builder roughed in some plumbing for a future bathroom. I was wanting to get some input from you all as to what the stubs were intended for. The middle beige 3" line goes to the above toilet. I am assuming that the 2" line to the right of it is for the vanity. I assume the 3" stub at the right of the photo is for the toilet. What I am not 100% sure about is the 2" line at the far left. Is this for a bathtub? Also if you guys have any input on venting configuration that would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

Attached Images    
Old 01-13-15, 10:44 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Yup, toilet and vanity are pretty easy to pick out. Since it's a 2" stub on the left, I'd assume it's for a shower. You can confirm once you cut the top off, you should see a trap (and if you pour some water down, some water should remain visible).

You'll need to vent the vanity up through the roof, unfortunately the stack you have there can't be used because of everything else feeding into it. You have your main floor above, is there a 2nd floor? Might you be able to run the vent through the back of a closet? (easier than tearing apart 1st floor walls).

Old 01-13-15, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
You'll need to vent the vanity up through the roof,
Sometimes the builders already ran the vent.. Look around above. Look for a 2" capped line above somewhere..

That pipe on left can be used as a shower or a tub. Looks like it may be skim coated around the pipe. Tap with a hammer to see if that square breaks up.. As zorfdt says a trap needs to be installed there if there is not one already there...

2" trap for shower, 1 1/2 trap if you make it tub...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: