Kitchen drain

Old 01-17-15, 09:09 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen drain

I've tried everything to get my kitchen sink to drain. It is a double sink with a disposal on one side.
I've used a bladder attached to a hose and it ran for 2 minutes or so without a restriction. I've also used chemical drain cleaners but nothing seems to help.

When I use water on the disposal side, after about a minute the water starts to back up. If I run the disposal the water immediately drains but backs up into the other side of the sink. The level of the water eventually equalizes to the same height in both sinks, and takes about 5 minutes to drain.

It doesn't seem that I have a plugged drain, chemical cleaners and blowing out with the bladder seem to indicate this was not the problem.

Attached is a view of the underside of the sink.

Thanks so much for any help.

TimName:  P1070245.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  39.4 KBName:  P1070246.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  40.7 KB

Old 01-17-15, 10:13 AM
You do have a clogged drain. The chemicals don't help much if any to resolve this.
If you want to do it yourself, please wait for further input. For me, I always call someone out. Some of the drain cleaning companies are reasonable, Some not... so shop around.

Old 01-17-15, 11:39 AM
T
You think it's clogged even though I stuck a bladder (I think it's called that) and ran the hose attached to it for about 2 minutes at full strength?

Old 01-17-15, 12:00 PM
It's the only solution I see. I'm sure some others will comment, we'll have to wait and see.
The water's not going down the drain in the wall. It would have to be a clogged pipe. From what I see under your sink, it looks fine and should flow easily.
If you have old cast iron pipes, a common problem is that tee in wall. It's right behind where your double traps enter the wall. The cast iron tees have a sharp drop, unlike newer tees where it gradually sweeps down.
This old tee will get a lot of build-up and barely let water flow.
You have nice cabinet backs and it would be a pain to change out the tee, but eventually it may have to be done and would cure your slow drains.
For now I would get them cleaned and see how long it lasts.

Old 01-17-15, 12:43 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I normally run the bladder about 30 minuets to clear my kitchen sink. I can actually here the sound change.

Pros, are two traps code?

Old 01-17-15, 02:06 PM
T
OK, thanks handyone and ray. 30 minutes, boy that sounds like a lot of water. But if that what it takes. It probably does have a cast iron T as the house was built in '68. It just started to become a problem.

Old 01-17-15, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Clogged line IMO from what you state..,. run a power auger down the drain... Its probably clogged where it meets the stack...

Pros, are two traps code?
No two traps are not to code....................

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45052[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 01-18-15, 05:16 AM
T
Thanks lawrosa, I ran a manual auger down the drain, but it would only go about 10 ft. When I pulled it out it had no gunk on it. I'll try that again.

Old 01-20-15, 02:46 AM
T
Well I ran my manual auger down the drain again, got most of the 25' down it. I then used the bladder again but after running water about 3 minutes when I removed the bladder, water had backed up and came gushing out, about a quart. I tried this several times but the same thing always happens.

It's clogged but not completely.

Looks like I'll have to call a plumber.

Old 01-20-15, 08:08 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
A drain cleaning "bladder" will only punch a small hole through an accumulation of gunk. You need to run a scraping type snake through the entire run of pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: