Sink Vent Issue

Old 01-21-15, 05:15 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sink Vent Issue

Recently been having issues with the bathroom sink not venting. The bathroom was remodeled 2 yrs ago and the drain line is in the wall behind the vanity. I guessing there is an AAV in the wall? Unfortunately, I did not get any good pics of the plumbing when the room was gutted. Is there a solution that does not include tearing into the back of the vanity and wall? Can I put an AAV downstream of the P-trap under the sink? ThanksName:  Gutted Bathroom 3.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  25.7 KBName:  New Bathroom Sink Plumbing.jpg
Views: 18444
Size:  36.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-15, 11:12 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
I can't see in your picture where the old pipe went, but it's doubtful (and against code) to have an AAV hidden in the wall. More likely, the pipe just drops straight down with no vent. Is there a vent pipe going up through the roof around your bathroom? Unless you had a plumber out to replumb it all during the reno, a lot of contractors will just leave it as-is and connect new fuxtures.

You can add an AAV under your vanity. But before you do that, what symptoms are you experiencing? Have they been like that since you started using your new bathroom, or have they changed recently?

Recent changes and gurgling often point to a clog. Slow drains, could be hair buildup, or could be a vent... but if it's recent, likely clogs or build-up.

Old 01-23-15, 01:26 PM
P
Nothing was re-plumbed during the reno, and I didn't know enough to check out the sink drain. The main vent stack is nearby, not sure how it ties in though. A few months ago the symptoms began, gurgling and slower sink draining. I'll try to snake the drain line and see if it improves. Thanks

Old 01-23-15, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Most likely a clogged line... snake it and let is know... Very rarely if at all is it a vent issues...

Old 01-23-15, 06:52 PM
Looks like whoever did your plumbing hook up did a pretty good job.
Just my 2 cents, but a skilled worker you think would at least mention something if there was a vent problem. That's something to fix while walls are open.