Braided stainless supply hose got squished -- need to replace?

Old 02-01-15, 10:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Braided stainless supply hose got squished -- need to replace?

I'm putting in a new dishwasher and I managed to sit the dishwasher's foot right on top of the new braided stainless supply hose when I was standing it up (all the weight of the machine on that one foot). The hose is round again but I can still tell where it was crushed. Do I need to get a new hose? I'm not sure how much abuse these things can take before they're unreliable.

The only reason I am even thinking about using this hose is that there are a couple of places where I didn't do something stupid to the hose that look almost as bad as where it got squished. Two ways to look at it -- either what I did to it is no worse than what you find in a new hose, or the thing was bad to begin with and I should never have used it anyway. It's a Proflo brand hose, bought from a plumbing supply company, and it appears to be unused.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-15, 10:17 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Even if you want to try that hose, have another one available just in case.

Old 02-02-15, 03:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If the hose connects to its supply from under the sink, I would replace it with a Flood Safe braided hose. Just the voice of experience, here. If the Flood Safe hose detects an open end with no back pressure, it will shut down the water supply. I had a similar situation on our dishwasher. The hose created a leak and I only had about a gallon of water on the floor before the Flood Safe shut it down. We usually wash dishes before we go to bed, so you can imagine a standard hose leaking all night

Old 02-02-15, 04:48 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Replace it, cheap insurance.
A whole lot cheaper then dealing with mold and a new floor.

Old 02-02-15, 07:41 PM
B
Thanks everybody. I got a new one.

This is a 1/2" compression hose, which I realize is kind of unusual for a dishwasher. But I have a 1/2" compression stop valve, and the hose is labeled as a dishwasher hose, so I must not be the only one with this setup. Anyway, not a lot of choices as most are of course 3/8" compression (I try to avoid adapters if I can help it). This hose comes with an elbow, but it's 1/2" compression on both ends (so I just reused the 1/2" compression to 3/8 MIP elbow from the old dishwasher). I have never heard of a dishwasher with a 1/2" compression inlet -- am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: