Bathroom sink drain leaking behind tiled wall.

Old 02-02-15, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink drain leaking behind tiled wall.

Hello this is my first post and I could use your expertize.

I have a leak from a bathroom sink drain inside the wall. The sink hangs on metal lip attached to the wall and the plumbing is exposed. The wall itself is tile. On the other side of the wall is another bathroom with the same tile. I have removed the sink and believe the leak is in the copper pipe immediately behind the connection to the chrome piping. This copper pipe takes a ninety degree turn to the left. I think the leak is in the bend of the ninety. My only experience in this type of repair was on a straight run of exposed copper drain in the basement. I cut out a length of copper and replaced it with plastic using a rubber boot with “pipe clamps” (metal bands that tighten with screwdriver or wrench). My intentions are to remove enough tile and wallboard to get at the copper, saw through it with a hacksaw blade, replace the ninety with plastic, and connect with another rubber boot. How am I doing so far? Please comment.

I am perplexed as how to repair the wall after testing new plumbing for leaks. I am pretty sure I am going to break the 60 year old tiles. I am not quite sure if new ones will match. Is white pretty much white? How do I cut the hole for the drain pipe? I am not very good at dry walling and have never tiled anything. Since the wall will be visible I would like for it to look presentable. Ideas here?

I have considered installing a small vanity that would cover the repair, approximately $100. I assume I would still want to close the hole in the wall with something? The floor of the vanity will force me to make some adjustments to the supply lines coming up through the bathroom floor. (both of these lines sprung leaks in the wall and rather than open the wall at that time I went through the floor and used stainless flexible supply lines as replacement.

All ideas are welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-15, 09:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
Adding a vanity cabinet is a good idea... it solves any floor, wall and tile repair issues. I'd suggest you open a large hole behind the proposed cabinet. Fix your drain pipe and stub the collar out past the wall surface. Open your floor as needed and (assuming your supply lines are copper) extend your supply lines up with 1/2" copper about 6"... you will drill a hole through the back of the vanity for the drain... and 2 holes for the 1/2" copper. Slip the vanity down over the hot and cold pipes... then slip chrome escutcheons over the 1/2" copper, and then use 1/2" compression-straight-3/8" supply shutoffs. Your 24" braided stainless supply lines will hook up to that.