Stop hose bibb from leaking

Old 02-04-15, 10:21 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stop hose bibb from leaking

Hello all;

A few months ago I hired a plumber to replace my houses exterior house bibb (it has to be soddered on). The problem im having is randomly it will leak from the top valve. If i use teflon tape it stops leaking for awhile, but the problem is the teflon tape bunches up so its not a sealed connection any more.

The hose bibb just uses a piece of plastic, i dont think theres a O ring or anything in there, which may be the problem. Is there any grease, lubricant, or anything that can seal it permanently?

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  39.2 KB

Thanks

Old 02-04-15, 11:52 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
I assume you are getting leak around the faucet stem. Try tightening that hex nut under the handle. Shouldn't take much, 1/8 turn or less. If you get it too tight, the handle will be hard to turn. I don't think any teflon is required there.

Old 02-10-15, 02:20 PM
S
I see what you mean. It was a little loose, i tightened it and i agree it should be fixed now. Many thanks

Old 02-10-15, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Don't know where you are located due to lack of profile information, but you had a "plumber" install that type of outdoor hose bib??? If he was worth anything he would have installed a frost proof one and not that type. Also, to prevent possible freezing of the valve and bursting, remove that manifold so water will drain from the metal bib.

Old 02-10-15, 06:32 PM
E
Frost proof hose bibs will depend on the application. For example my outdoor water pipe goes over 20 feet from the basement through an uninsulated crawl space before poking through another wall. A frost proof hose bib wouldn't make much sense in that scenario because the pipe runs through an unheated space for awhile after exiting the basement.

My larger concern is that hose bib doesn't really look new, more like a beat up used piece the plumber had from another replacement job that he might have rebuilt. I had mine replaced not too long ago and a couple months later it still looks like it would have when sitting on the shelf at the supply store. Yours looks like it's been installed for a few years.

Also I had a 1/4 turn or ball valve hose bib put on. No rubber washer inside controlling water flow and much more reliable in the long term. I am more surprised the plumber didn't sell you one of them than that he didn't sell you a frost proof one.

Old 05-15-15, 09:41 PM
H
Hi,

I have the same type of hose bib and it has a small leak. I am not able to tighten the phillip screw and I have tightened the hex nut but the leaks seem increase.

What next? Replace it? If I replace it, which kind is better?

I am now in Hawaii.

Thank you.

Old 05-16-15, 03:20 AM
I would replace it with a 1/4 turn faucet, frost proof or not, won't matter much in Hawaii.

Old 06-05-15, 06:23 PM
H
So, I have bought several hose bibbs from the big box stores and some with quarter turn and some with multi-turn.

My follow-up questions: Which of the following is better?

Full port with long quarter turn handle: American Valve

Pro-Line Mueller no kind quarter turn like this one but 3/4 inch not 1/2 inch as pictured.

Thank you.

Old 06-06-15, 04:35 AM
Door #2, if it will fit your plumbing. It's not what we would install on the mainland, but you could get by on the islands.

Old 06-06-15, 10:39 PM
H
Which one would you install on the mainland?

Old 06-07-15, 04:55 AM
Something similar to this. 3/4 in. x 12 in. Brass Anti-Siphon Frost Free Sillcock Valve with Push-Fit Connections-P140-8-34x12 - The Home Depot

Our plumbing is usually set back inside a warm crawl space or basement, or the warmer confines of a garage. The seal is back in this warm area with no way for water to stand in the outer area and freeze.

Old 06-13-15, 01:12 AM
H
Just to report back, I replaced the hose bibb with the one you suggested. At first, I thought the quarter turn would affect the water pressure but it didn't.

Reading this somewhere, I put tape and Rector Seal T plus 2 and there is no leak.

Thank you very much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: