plumbing in new basment apartment.

Old 02-19-15, 06:23 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
plumbing in new basment apartment.

So I am chipping away at putting in a basement apartment (legal basement apartment) I have gotten to the point of plumbing, damn do I hate plumbing, any how... this is built in 2001 and done with copper, I have done A LOT!!! of read and talking with people about using PEX and that seems to be the way I'm going ( I still have my concerns but have to make a decision ) I have to tie in existing copper lines mainly for the kitchen on the main floor. I was wondering if it makes sense to some how do a manifold system with home runs where I can or should I just do it the regular way since the manifold way may end up being A LOT of extra piping running in the ceiling and may end up not working out with existing house plumbing.

Old 02-19-15, 06:53 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know what extra piping you mean. There should only be 1 cold water feed & 1 hot water feed, to the 1st floor kitchen. Those pipes already exist & really shouldn't have to be touched. The cold water feed for your new apartment can be connected anywhere after the meter & the hot water feed anywhere after the hot water tank. Pex will safe a lot of work.

Old 02-19-15, 08:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 970 Votes on 891 Posts
I'm not a fan of manifold systems. They use more pipe and every fixture has to pull it's hot water from the manifold. With a trunk system there is less pipe. And since all the fixtures are on the same trunk line running hot water in one pulls up hot water to make it more quickly available to the other fixtures.

As for shutoffs I find them annoying in a manifold. If you are working on a leaky sink it's much easier to just turn them off in the cabinet instead of walking back and forth to the manifold. The one exception is for tub faucets. In that case it would be nice to be able to shut off the water to the upper/main house and the basement apartment individually would suffice.

Old 02-21-15, 04:42 AM
H
Thanks guys for the reply.
I am going to for-go the manifold system, it is going to make a spaghetti mess out of the basement and swiss cheese out of the ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: