Sani-seal (waxless) ring and toilet with indentations

Old 02-19-15, 11:48 AM
T
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sani-seal (waxless) ring and toilet with indentations

My toilet has two built in indentations at the horn... will a waxless seal still work properly, or do i have to use a wax ring?

Toilet

Here is the type of seal i am talking about:

Sani Seal Toilet Gasket :: No Mess - Waxless ? Repositionable

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-15, 12:07 PM
Received 254 Votes on 228 Posts
Should be OK. If not return to store for a wax ring. Others here have used these and claim they are very good.

Old 02-19-15, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,180 Votes on 1,093 Posts
Personal opinion..... go with an extra tall wax ring.

Old 02-19-15, 12:55 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Doesn't make sense why any toilet manufacturer would have anything other than a completely flat surface. We have discussed these before on the forums and none of the pros have tried them. Wax will form to anything, this green thing is basically a covered sponge. With wax you know you have achieved a good seal when you have to apply pressure to the toilet and wiggle it down to compress the wax. This saniseal - the toilet would just go straight to the ground, there is not enough resistance to hold the toilet in the air to compress. While very squishy I don't know if it can handle the contour of your toilet. I also have expressed reservations because wax is sticky and makes a good seal, this is not sticky.

Old 02-19-15, 01:44 PM
Czizzi, it was in fact on this forum that others have said they work fine. I was very skeptical until I heard from others that they do work. I have since recommended this to many customers and as far as I know we have not had any returns due to failure. It has advantages and disadvantages. But for the non-professional who occasionally resets a toilet and may need to do it several times due to other problems it can be a God send.

Old 02-19-15, 01:54 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Yes Norm, but others did not have a tidal wave for a pattern around the bowl seal.

After the previous thread, I actually sat down (as I often do) on my knees in the store and opened one of these up and played with it. Between you and I, I wasn't impressed to the point of changing my mind. As I have never had difficulty with using wax rings, I did not see a big enough leap in technology to make the switch. If someone did not take the time to clean the bottom of the current toilet of all the old wax ring, I would be hesitant to guaranty a perfect seal. And take another look at the toilet the OP sent a picture of - makes me nervous.

Old 02-19-15, 02:59 PM
V
Vey
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are going to buy a wax ring, experience has taught me to spend the extra buck and get the wax ring with the rubber boot attached to it. Even an idiot like me can't miss with one of those.

Old 02-19-15, 03:08 PM
If you are going to buy a wax ring, experience has taught me to spend the extra buck and get the wax ring with the rubber boot attached to it. Even an idiot like me can't miss with one of those.
Well, I thought that too. And again I was correct by others on this forum that that is not always the best thing. That boot will tend to restrict the flow of debris. I will agree with Czizzi that I have always used a wax ring with no ill effects. But my next opportunity I will try the Saniseal if for no reason than to get 1st hand experience with it.

Old 02-19-15, 05:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lawrosa suggested that I use the saniseal. Worked great. I found it had plenty of resistance in my installation. You can also stack them if you need it taller.

If it were me, I would get a saniseal and see how it conforms to the bottom of the toilet. You can always bring it back if you get it from a big box store.

Where is your closet flange in relation to the floor?

Old 02-20-15, 06:28 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
The seal on that toilet is made at the raised ring of porcelain, the "indentations have nothing to do with the seal regardless if you use a Sani-Seal or a wax ring. I would have no reservations whatsoever using a Sani-Seal on that toilet.