Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Need help with fitting an exhaust pipe/hose to the bottom face of a crate.

Need help with fitting an exhaust pipe/hose to the bottom face of a crate.


Old 02-22-15, 05:57 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: India
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with fitting an exhaust pipe/hose to the bottom face of a crate.

Hi everyone,

To provide context of where this is coming from, I am working on building an aeroponic system, with an external reservoir and pump. The external reservoir contains nutrient solution that is pumped to a few dozen crates via inlet pipes (inlet, from the pov of the crates). As an Aeroponic system is a closed-loop system, there's a need to drain the nutrient solution back to the external reservoir.

For drainage purposes, I have drilled holes at the bottom of my crates, through which I intended to fit either PVC pipes or garden hoses, that would then drain back to the external reservoir.

My question is, what is the best way to fit a pipe/hose to an orifice at the bottom of a crate, such that it's a good, solid fit without leak and with the fit not coming off loose even if there's a substantial volume of water (and hence a large weight) acting on it.

Please note that the pipe cannot protrude deep into the crate, as for drainage purposes, the level of the pipe's opening has to be at the same level as the interior floor of the crates.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-15, 06:18 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 8,890
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
What you need is something like this.

I can't remember the name of these types of fittings. You might try Googling things like barrel plugs, tank fittings, tank drains, tank bungs etc... Try going to a DIY brew house (where you buy kits to make your own beer).

The term bungs has promise. I think that is the type of fitting (many different configurations) you want to pursue.
Old 02-22-15, 07:19 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,597
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have also seen used Female PVC TO Male NPT fittings. Therese are used with electric conduit nuts and washers along with a gasket cut from an inner tube or rubber gasket sheet.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  15.0 KB
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: