Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Need help with fitting an exhaust pipe/hose to the bottom face of a crate.

Old 02-22-15, 05:57 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

To provide context of where this is coming from, I am working on building an aeroponic system, with an external reservoir and pump. The external reservoir contains nutrient solution that is pumped to a few dozen crates via inlet pipes (inlet, from the pov of the crates). As an Aeroponic system is a closed-loop system, there's a need to drain the nutrient solution back to the external reservoir.

For drainage purposes, I have drilled holes at the bottom of my crates, through which I intended to fit either PVC pipes or garden hoses, that would then drain back to the external reservoir.

My question is, what is the best way to fit a pipe/hose to an orifice at the bottom of a crate, such that it's a good, solid fit without leak and with the fit not coming off loose even if there's a substantial volume of water (and hence a large weight) acting on it.

Please note that the pipe cannot protrude deep into the crate, as for drainage purposes, the level of the pipe's opening has to be at the same level as the interior floor of the crates.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-15, 06:18 AM
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
What you need is something like this.

I can't remember the name of these types of fittings. You might try Googling things like barrel plugs, tank fittings, tank drains, tank bungs etc... Try going to a DIY brew house (where you buy kits to make your own beer).

The term bungs has promise. I think that is the type of fitting (many different configurations) you want to pursue.

Old 02-22-15, 07:19 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have also seen used Female PVC TO Male NPT fittings. Therese are used with electric conduit nuts and washers along with a gasket cut from an inner tube or rubber gasket sheet.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  15.0 KB