pitching pipe problems?

Old 02-22-15, 08:42 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pitching pipe problems?

It seems that my tub and sink in the bathroom drain very slowly. I went into the basement and noticed that the line from the tub drain to the sink drain is at a downward pitch and then the pipe from the sink drain to the outgoing pipe is in an upward direction. Would this cause slow draining?
I feel like I want to replace most of the drain pipes mostly because the 20 foot section from the kitchen sink to the outgoing looks like a roller coaster and is hanging low in the middle of the ceiling, so I want to move it over.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-15, 05:51 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Did the slow draining just start? If it has been working well for some years & all of a sudden it stopped wroking, I wouldn't think the pipes are the problem. Did you clean all the hair & whatever else there, out of the pipes?

Old 02-23-15, 06:48 AM
S
Well I just moved in and when the inspector went to test the faucets, the tub was full of curtain rods and sheet rock dust so never turned that on and when he turned the sink on the seal at the base of it was cracked so never realized it was clogged. But now here I am trying to fix all this, which I don't have a problem with. I have since replaced the whole line under the sink to the wall. And even opened up the tub drain and pulled out some hair. I'm thinking there might be a clog somewhere in there due to the bad pitch.

Old 02-23-15, 07:01 AM
K
If the drain is going uphill at some point it is most likely full of gunk, and that is the reason it is draining slowly. If it were me, I would cut away what is accessible and put new pipe sloped correctly. Just re-sloping what is there probably won't work unless you snake the line at least.

Old 02-23-15, 05:00 PM
S
Yeah I plan to do just that.
This is what I'm dealing with.

And thank you all by the way!

Old 02-23-15, 05:17 PM
K
Yeah, I can see quite a few problems there. I would take it all out and redo it for sure. I can tell you a professional didn't do it.

Make sure everything has the proper trap and vent. Based on what I am seeing, I would not be surprised at all if things are not vented, which could also be why the drains are slow. Unfortunately, checking that might require opening up some walls in the bathroom. Do you notice gurgling in other fixtures when the tub or toilet drains? From the picture it looks like your tub does not have a trap at all on it.

Looks like a lot of moisture damage on the subfloor, make sure it is still solid and not rotting. That cut in the beam should also be addressed, that is a big no-no.

Old 02-23-15, 06:00 PM
S
Here's a few more of my problem