Is there a way to calculate gas pipe sizing needs?

Old 03-04-15, 10:01 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a way to calculate gas pipe sizing needs?

I want a bigger stove, a lot bigger stove, also an additional oven or two.

Is there any way to calculate whether I can do it with out having to install a new gas line?

I have a 2" pipe coming from a meter rated at 8m3/h at 19mbar

I have connected to it one dryer, 1 furnace, 2 hot water heaters and my current oven and cook top. All of which have their output written on them somewhere

It seems like some basic math should let me be able to figure out pressure drop.

Old 03-04-15, 10:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,613 Votes on 1,485 Posts
A certain size gas pipe will supply a certain amount of btu's of heat. Start by adding up the input btu rating off all your currently connected appliances plus what you want to add. Post that here. Plus we'll need lengths of existing gas piping.

Old 03-04-15, 10:14 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does it make a difference if there are reductions? For example its 2" up till the hot water tanks and dryer then goes to 1 1/2 to the kitchen then 1 from the kitchen to the furnace.

Old 03-05-15, 05:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 970 Votes on 891 Posts
Yes, the size of pipe makes a difference. Larger is able to carry more btu's worth of gas. With a step down system calculating is more complex as you've got to figure for each pipe size and since your load is being taken off at different points so not all the gas has to flow through all the pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: