Clogged kitchen sink mystery...

Old 03-06-15, 07:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clogged kitchen sink mystery...

So last night I did send some butternut squash skin down the disposal and when late last night the sink did not drain I figured I knew why. So first I disconnected the disposal expecting to find the clog right there and no... I have a 50's built house and the trap for the kitchen is in the basement. I opened the trap.... water came spewing out from both sides of the trap. Seemed like it was under pressure with the force it came out. Poured some water down the sink to see that that section was clear. I snaked the other section all the way into the main sewer pipe...three times. I know it went all the way into the large sewer drain. Put the cap back on the trap.. go to fill the sink and clogged. The larger sewer pipe is also fed right on the other side of the pipe from the bathroom. That drains fine. Hmmm...
Over at the hardware store the only thing they can think of is a clogged air vent to the roof. I am in the northeast.. ICE ?? The kitchen sink does not have it's own vent. Maybe the bathroom has it's own but I don't know where it would vent. If there was a clogged air vent would I have other drain problems from the 3 items in the bathroom.. Mystery ?? All copper pipes. Name:  trap.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  35.4 KBName:  pipes.jpg
Views: 2876
Size:  51.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-15, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
I've never seen a drum trap on a kitchen sink. Not ideal as they hold trapped grease easily.
Now, most sinks require a self scouring trap right at the sink.

The problem must be near the main stack if the other drain still works ok.

Old 03-06-15, 07:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The snake could have just passed by the clog & back again. Open the kitchen trap again & try to suck out what's in there with a wet vac. I've been lucky a few times.

Old 03-07-15, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
What type of snake did you use? What type of material did the snake have on it when you pulled it out of the clogged section?

Like the others I suspect your drain line is still clogged. A clogged vent is rather unlikely and even if it were closed it will not prevent drain lines from flowing. It may cause things to gurgle but won't completely stop the drain from flowing.

Old 03-07-15, 08:05 AM
D
I used the one in the picture... There was no debris when pulled out. But I know from measuring the snake that I went into the main pipe... which like I mentioned before is fed by another pipe with no problems.

Attached Images  
Old 03-07-15, 10:21 AM
D
A friend suggested cutting the pipe down where the clog may be.... hopefully finding a clog and then use a pipe repair clamp.. Basically because I have the time and would love not to give a couple of hundred dollars to a plumber.... feedback ??

Old 03-08-15, 10:22 AM
D
Well.. a plumber didn't get paid today... Cut the pipe near the main.. pushed the snake through with some resistance and there it was at the joint. Put a pipe clamp on... ran the water and all is fine. I know from measuring that the snake I rented went 5 feet past that clog.. but whatever.. Done.

Old 03-08-15, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,104 Votes on 1,024 Posts
When you look closer at your pipe there.... the orange line would be the natural path of the snake..... the outside of the bend. However the clog would be on the bottom of the fitting.... under where the snake would normally hit.

Name:  pipes.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  26.2 KB

Old 03-08-15, 11:23 AM
D
This clog was at the big joint.