shower drain as a sink drain

Old 03-19-15, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shower drain as a sink drain

I have a roughed in full bath in my basement, but I have decided not to add a shower. My question can I use the shower drain as a sink drain? It is in the right location and I could literally sit the sink right on top of it. The pipe is 2 inches and I believe it is trapped under the slab (if not i would add a trap under the sink).

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-15, 10:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not sure how it wound up being "in the right place", but remember you can't double trap anything. If anything, remove the below grade trap, replace with a sweep and trap the sink in the normal place. There may be differences in opinions, so hang in here for more comments.

Old 03-19-15, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
This is just backing up Chandler's suggestions. I don't think a fixture tailpiece can be longer than 24" which probably prohibits using the shower's in floor trap. And you can't double trap so to do it properly the trap buried under the floor should be removed. If the code isn't enough incentive a trap out in the open right under the sink is a breeze to clear compared to one buried under a slab where your only option is a snake or drain auger.

Old 03-19-15, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
have a roughed in full bath in my basement, but I have decided not to add a shower. My question can I use the shower drain as a sink drain?
If its a full bath you have a sink drain already... And to add another you add a double fixture fitting to the current sink...

So please explain what you want to do before we go further...

Old 03-20-15, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some Backround:

We had a full bathroom roughed in when the house was built in 2012. We are in the process of finishing off our basement and the bathroom has been mostly finished (drywalled, floor installed etc). I was going to install the fixtures this weekend. I consulted the builder about the plumbing months ago asking him to identify the pipes for the rough in. What I was told was the sink drain is actually a drain for the shower. What I have is a square bathroom with the stub outs near a concrete wall in the corner of the basement. The stub out for the toilet is 4 inches wide and now sits 12 1/2 inches away from my framed wall. There is a 2 inch vent directly behind the toilet up against the concrete wall that I have connected to the vent in the ceiling (this is now behind the drywall). A few feet to the right about 6 inches away from the concrete wall is another 2 inch pipe. This I was told was the sink drain and I planned to install a AAV (legal in my area) for the sink. However, It is actually a shower drain with a trap (I opened it last night to confirm). I became suspicious of this the other day when I came across a thread similar to mine.

So now I have a mostly finished bathroom and no where to really put the sink. I really don't want to rip out drywall, but it appears the vent for the toilet also serves as the drain for the sink. This is why I was asking if it was possible to use the shower as a drain for the sink. The trap would be 30 inches from the bottom of the fixture straight down, which I realize would put it to far away to be code compliant. I guess my only real solution is to rip out drywall, cut down the drain for the shower and cap it near the floor, run the plumbing for the sink to the toilet vent/vanity drain. the sink does need to be in that location though. In hindsight I should have confirmed the drain pipe by opening up, but I had no real reason to doubt what I was being told.

Old 03-20-15, 03:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The only thing I see is you possibly covered up a sink drain in the wall, which will emit gasses unless it was capped off. Your builder was full of hooey if he tried to pass off the shower drain as a sink drain, sorry. It was an easy way out for him. You believed it and he is gone. We sure could use those pictures. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 03-20-15, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
There is a 2 inch vent directly behind the toilet up against the concrete wall that I have connected to the vent in the ceiling
That is your vent and sink drain... You install an arm on that line for the sink....

A few feet to the right about 6 inches away from the concrete wall is another 2 inch pipe. This I was told was the sink drain and I planned to install a AAV (legal in my area) for the sink. However, It is actually a shower drain with a trap (I opened it last night to confirm). I became suspicious of this the other day when I came across a thread similar to mine.
IMO put the shower in... .. Step back and reevaluate.....