Leaky garden hose

Old 04-07-15, 11:55 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky garden hose

Hey, I am having an issue with my garden hose in the garage. Last summer I replaced the piping that went from the inside of my house to the garage because when I used it, it leaked down my basement wall and did some damage to the drywall and paint. I replaced it with all new piping and tap and everything worked fine.

Fastforward to this spring, I go outside and see the bucket that my hose was laying in was full or water. I thought this was a fluke so I emptied the bucket and went on my merry way. I go out to the garage later and there is water all over my garage floor, from the hose leaking. It now permanently drips out of the hose. Can anyone explain what I did wrong that would make a perma-drip out of the hose even though the tap is completely off?

Old 04-07-15, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Depends on what you did, and what type of hose bib you used.. Did you solder? Maybe you melted the washer??

Welcome to the forums...

Old 04-07-15, 01:10 PM
D
Thanks for the info. I will give you some info on what I did. I bought a tap like this: http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...d-82508203.jpg

then to the above noted item, I attached a 1/2 shark bite which is threaded on one side and shark bite on the other. I then ran about 10 feet of 1/2 copper pipe to the water supply hose. Ultimately it was the garden hose tap that was faulty....replaced it and all was well until this episode. Now as I mentioned it permanently leaks even when it is in the off position

Old 04-07-15, 01:19 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There are three places on that hose bib that can leak . You have to determine which one of the three places is leaking. They are where it meets the shark bite, where it meets the hose or the packing nut.

Old 04-25-15, 10:21 AM
D
I think I may have described this wrong. Initially when I bought the house, when I used the tap in the garage, it leaked into my basement. I have since rectified this issue by replacing the complete assembly, and there are no more leaks into the basement.

Fastforward to now, I have a complete new tap and there are no leaks. Where the water does come out is at the end of the hose, but even when I shut the tap off there is still slowly water coming out of the end of the hose. I am meaning that this tap for some reason is not completely shutting off. Would this be due to a faulty tap or did I do something wrong on the install?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: