New Under Sink Plumbing Issues

Old 04-11-15, 06:18 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Under Sink Plumbing Issues

Installed new plumbing under my sink about 2 months ago. Three time now one of the vertical connections have come apart while washing dishes. It's always one of the nuts below the sink connections. Does the hot water affect the gaskets?? Any other ideas of what might be wrong here? Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 04-11-15, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Which nut? I assume you are saying it comes completely apart? Separated?

Possibly tail piece is not long enough or washer issue...

Yes hot water will make nuts loosen. I always run hot water and re tighten....

Old 04-11-15, 06:39 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Who plumb this?
Whole lot of drain fittings for such a simple job, plus the old gate valve that's not going to shut off on the supply line.

Old 04-12-15, 05:00 AM
P
Lawrosa - the first slip fitting down from the sink connection comes completely apart, twice on the left sink and once on the right. When you say the tail piece, could you please be more specific? The washers seem fine when inspected.

Old 04-12-15, 05:58 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
When you say the tail piece, could you please be more specific?
Name:  replace-a-kitchen-sink-basket-and-old-metal-trap-09-ss.jpg
Views: 9297
Size:  16.8 KB
The washers seem fine when inspected
Inspection isn't enough. Throwing them in the trash and buying new from a different source is best. I've seen more than one new one that was just too loose. Are you giving the nut a turn or so with water pump pliers? Are the tail pieces long enough to go in till the shape of the fitting stops them. I'd cut the cross over so you could have longer tail pieces and more room to work, just easier to me not that your way is wrong.

Name:  Kitchen Sink Drain 7.jpg
Views: 15350
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 04-12-15, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have found using a plastic ring nut on a metal sink drain will fail every time. I use brass nuts, then proceed with plastic. I agree with Joe, it seems someone is subsidizing the plumbing fitting industry with all those fittings. It could be cleaned up a little.

Old 04-12-15, 07:10 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It may not be orthodox; but I've used a small amount of Plumbers' Pipe Tread Dope (with PTFE) on those fittings to keep them from loosening up.

I don't know what PTFE is; but it's non-toxic, remains flexible, and doesn't harden.

Old 04-12-15, 08:05 AM
I agree with Chandler. I think your problem is that the plastic nut connecting tailpiece to sink strainer is cross threaded and you're not aware of it.

Replace the strainer nuts with brass ones and install new tailpiece washers. You will see how much better the brass nuts turn and tighten. Hand tighten brass nuts and turn a little with adjustable pliers.

The white plastic nuts do not fit metal pipe threads very well.

Old 04-12-15, 06:11 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi I would not think the tail piece with the top hat washer that connects to the strainer is the problem but rather the second nut with the tapered washer. Those a plastic washers and not very good for the application. I always used tapered rubber washers and when I put the system together I couldn't pull them apart. Get at big box or plumbing store.
Good luck Woodbutcher

Old 04-17-15, 04:41 AM
M
I don't know what PTFE is; but it's non-toxic, remains flexible, and doesn't harden.
Polytetrafluoroethylene. It's the chemical name for Teflon.

Old 04-17-15, 04:57 AM
Received 318 Votes on 285 Posts
I've never had a problem with the plastic slip nuts or washers. However, if the system is not perfectly plumb no amount of different material, TFE tape or tightening will prevent leakage. Undo, redo using new material as suggested, make sure all tail pieces are at least 1" to 2" inserted into mating piece. Hand tighten (firmly) slip nuts only, never use a wrench (they will strip). Hate to dis-agree with experts here on this forum but plastic nuts and washers are fine. Mixing metal and plastic should not be a problem if either or are new. Used pieces can be a problem.

Old 04-24-15, 08:29 AM
Buy washers from a different source. I have gotten brand new so loose I just tossed them. Did you try tightening a half turn with water pump plirers after hand tightening as much as possible?

Old 04-24-15, 10:17 AM
P
The issue was not with the connection to the sink, but the nut on the slip fitting directly below that sink connection.

I reassembled the pumbing and put a 1/4 turn on the problem nuts with pliers. If that doens't hold, I'll be seeking new washers.

Old 04-24-15, 10:42 AM
Sounds good. There is no reason these connections should leak.
If you still have a problem later, see Ray's post #5.
Lower the baffle tee and purchase two longer tailpieces. Measure and cut new pieces carefully to ensure each fitting is fully seated.

Old 04-24-15, 12:21 PM
Brian suggested:
If you still have a problem later, see Ray's post #5.
Brian, in #13 Fixhome writes he did that.

Bottom line here is this is one of those problems that you just have to keep trying things. I have had them and I'm sure the pros had. I learned before internet just from books and books never mentioned you could do everything correctly and it still wouldn't work. My bugaboo was faucets. Replace both washers and seats and they still dripped. Books never said what to do when that happened.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: