Yard drain line

Old 04-21-15, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yard drain line

I recently had to cut out a section of a drain line in my front yard due to tree roots (of course, again).

Local handyman said "get some unions"... and I took him at his word. Being rather ignorant, I didn't get the whole "schedule" ratings for PVC and could only find 3" unions (my drain line size) in schedule 80. Of course they are too big and don't form anything like a snug fit.

I *think* it is schedule 40. But that's just a guess. Should there be something printed on the pipe that identifies it as such?

So what should I do? I ordered the unions online and not sure about the return policy. Are there adapters? I was looking forward to the actual unions instead of just couplings, as I was thinking I wouldn't have to cut junk up next time the damn roots grow in there.

While I'm at it, any brilliant tricks to get the replacement section to just the right length?

Old 04-21-15, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Unions??? No way. you need to use no hub couplings...

Ummm this is sewer pipe?

If its not regular PVC then it may be SDR 35... Do a google search of SDR 35 to see what I mean... Its usually green..

Old 04-21-15, 08:27 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Take the time to replace the whole line and there will be no next time.
SCH 40 and 80 are the same OD size.
PVC Pipe Dimensions

Old 04-22-15, 04:18 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unions huh? Pretty expensive, incorrect fix.

Old 04-22-15, 06:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
I think the handyman used the wrong terminology. What he probably intended was "coupling". Couplings are cheap fittings that connect two pieces of pipe together by gluing. A union fitting is much more expensive and after each half is glued onto the pipe the threaded part attaches the pipe sections together and can be removed in the future if needed. The coupling fittings you need are readily available at plumbing suppliers and home centers.

Old 04-22-15, 06:42 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If this is a recurrent problem with that tree, and you don't want to chop it down . . . . then maybe sprinkling some Copper Sulfate in that trench while it's open will discourage the roots from wanting to re-invade that area in the immediate future.

The amount will of course vary depending upon the type of tree and how close it is and a few other factors . . . . but it works.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: